IGNORED

kenmeri v8 and 9inch swap

Yes, this is going into my Kenmeri. They are not a direct bolt in. You need to modify the rear mount some. It is not all that difficult though. The 280ZX turbo does have an R200 that would work, but it is one of those early 10mm bolt versions. The ones from the later Z31 300ZX and 200SX are 12mm bolt R200s. You will need the inner stub axles from an R200 out of a 280Z if you do not use C.V. joints on these later diffs. The inner stubs from your R180 are not compatible with the R200 so you can't just reuse those. Now, one other option you might have is a rare diff called an R190. These are a direct bolt in replacement of the R180, are substantially stronger than the R180, and will also bolt to your axles and the driveshaft. There are a few around, I may be able to help you source one if you'd like to go that route.

Brian

240kconv, i look forward to you proving me wrong a few years from now. btw, i hope everybody still got their k's:o in a few years

I too look forward to proving you wrong (fingers crossed) :paranoid: , it's sad how many pride and joys get sold as unfinished project, even if they are finished they sell for sweet F A. That Anaconda Torana that was on the front cover of Street Machine is up for sale for $40k in Unique Cars. What a waste of money, must have cost at least $100k to build.

I have the poster up in my garage with the words "what not to do" written on it.

Sorry for the thread highjack.

Yes, this is going into my Kenmeri. They are not a direct bolt in. You need to modify the rear mount some. It is not all that difficult though. The 280ZX turbo does have an R200 that would work, but it is one of those early 10mm bolt versions. The ones from the later Z31 300ZX and 200SX are 12mm bolt R200s. You will need the inner stub axles from an R200 out of a 280Z if you do not use C.V. joints on these later diffs. The inner stubs from your R180 are not compatible with the R200 so you can't just reuse those. Now, one other option you might have is a rare diff called an R190. These are a direct bolt in replacement of the R180, are substantially stronger than the R180, and will also bolt to your axles and the driveshaft. There are a few around, I may be able to help you source one if you'd like to go that route.

Brian

If you find a R190 open diff, there was a R190 LSD center for sale on ebay Australia recently. Didn't sell. Seller might be open to offers.

I thought that only the TT version of the Z32 had the R230 and that all others had an R200.

Since the Z32 in Aus was never available TT then wouldn't it be an R200, with a revised rear cover for extra oil capacity and possibly a little extra heat dissipation?

Anyone know for sure?

btw, that rear cover is apparently the exact same part that NISMO was selling at some ridiculously inflated price!

Re the 10mm vs 12mm bolts in R200's.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that the later Z31 and 200SX units are 12mm versions - a some Z31's delivered in Aus have 10mm bolts.

I've seen the occasional 12mm version in '83 280ZX 2+2 non-turbo cars in Aus so Nissan must have been upgrading a bit earlier than the intro of the Z31. Presumably they then used up whatever was in stock with the earlier Z31's.

Anyway, it is not as critical these days. ARP make some really nice 10mm bolts that can provide MORE clamping pressure than the 12mm bolts from Nissan.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

sorry i havent posted here in a long time , but to answer 240kconvertible i have done two different projects and about to start my third. first i put a l28t motor in the skyline, the block cracked so i the did the v8 conversion with a four speed muncie tranny. it all turned out pretty good after a ton of work , i had to cut out 3 inches if the fire wall, use a front mount engine plate and made some mounting brackets off of the frame rails. i decided to use the stock rear end due to money and replace it when it breaks. ... well,, the first time to the track i blew it up right at the line. so now im starting the backhalf project. im putting a ford 9 inch with a four link setup. does anyone here know the gear ratio on the stock rear end? i will try to post some pics in the near future.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
240kconv, i look forward to you proving me wrong a few years from now. btw, i hope everybody still got their k's:o in a few years

heh heh

Consider yourself proved wrong Mat Big Hat

Two V8 K's completed LOL. . . . . . poor Datsun purists :(

Awesome Car schwiplarkin, was it down the 1/8th or 1/4tr mile? also what was all the smoke right at the end of the clip.

Really glad to see your car completed.