"D" wheel refurbishing - Page 2 - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

"D" wheel refurbishing

Featured Replies

The matchbook texture you describe, Dan, is the result of lacquer paint.

Chris, my only point was to describe the original paint texture as being slightly sandy, ie., matchbook scratcher, to the feel. As to how this was accomplished, Wick Humble developed a formula of Gray Lacquer paint with a suede agent added as described in his Datsun Z-Car restoration book.

If you have obtained the original paint code and formula, I would love to have a copy of it.

I have a NOS set of these hub caps still in the paper bags, except for one, that I use to confirm paint texture and color accuracy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.