IGNORED

Ball Joint Extractor

62vette

Actually, on the early Z cars the main ball joint is pressed into the steering arm. The steering arm bolts to the bottom of the strut, and the other side of the ball joint bolts to the lower control arm.

You do have to remove the ball joint for the steering rack from the steering arm on the car, but the main ball joint can be pressed out with an arbor press after you unbolt the ball joint - steering arm assembly from the strut and arm.

It think that I just used a "pickle fork" to get the tie-rod end loose from the steering arm, but the one you have photographed should work even better.

I just redid all mine this last summer (New factory Nissan Ball Joints & Tie Rod Ends.)

Like Jon mentioned, if your replacing them with new ones which it sounds like you are because they are worn out, then a good pickle fork kit will suit your needs perfectly. I have the pickle fork set that can be used both in an air hammer or pound on them with a regular hammer. My best advise to you is to get the forks that can be used with an air hammer which is the way I did it. It will save you alot of headache :) When I did mine I tried the regular hammer and wasn't getting anywhere. I then pulled out my air hammer and with a short squeeze on the trigger, they came right off. :D This is of course if you have the luxury of an air compressor in your garage.

Here is the set I have. 105153873.jpg

on the early Z cars the main ball joint is pressed into the steering arm.

Actually the tapered end of the ball joint is bolted to the steering arm, not pressed in. Once the steering arm is removed from the strut, you'll see a castelated nut. Remove this and give the end a firm whack with a hammer. That's all it took to get mine out. If I had planned on re-using them I would have used a brass hammer or drift to break it free.

The hard joint to seperate is usually the connection between the tie rod end and the steering knuckle. This is where the tool you pictured may come in handy if you're looking to re-use it. If not, a pickle fork or the old kriol, hammer, heat and vise will do the trick.