IGNORED

240Z Combo and T/S switch repair Service

Zs-ondabrain

There's not much to it. You first remove the black plastic shroud that encloses everything. There are screws from the bottom that hold the top and bottom halves together. At that point it should be fairly obvious but the combination switch on the right and the turn signal switch on the left are fastened to each other with screws that effectively clamp both units to the steering assembly. Each switch has its own set of connectors; just be sure to label anything that's not obvious when you disconnect them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give a brief review, I have to say I was impressed with the results when I got my T/S and combo switches back from Dave last week.

Prior to sending them in, I had numerous issues with the headlight and parking light circuits flaking out. I would be driving down the road and hit a small bump and my parking and dash lights would all drop out until I started to jiggle the switch. (VERY embarrassing when you are on a date, as I experienced!) Additionally, sometimes I would turn my headlights on, go for a drive, park the car and switch the lights off only to find that the headlights would NOT turn off. The problem was within the combo switch, I believe the contact plates were sticking or something.

My turn-signal switch seemed fine before I sent it in, but I included it anyway since I figured anything he could do would help make it last longer (and the cost savings on just sending the combo switch wouldn't have made sense since I was already shipping something anyway). Dave actually found some parts involving the high-low beam toggle switch that were pretty baked out (I guess) leaving them really fragile.

For both switches, it was apparent that Dave had some good spares of some of the parts for some transplants into my switches and they came back in great shape. The action in both is smooth, and I haven't experienced any more of the flakiness I sent them in for.

I should also note that when I sent the switches in, I also bought the headlight harness and parking light harnesses, and have only used the combo switch in conjunction with those since I got the whole package from Dave. Hopefully with the much reduced current through those two circuits, these switches will last me a very long time.

I have written other posts in the other threads regarding my experiences with the headlight harness and parking light harness.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on ebay the other day and ran across a guy who also does the same exact thing as I do but charges a lot more. I'm not advertising for him but I thought I'd let you guys know that there is a comparison of services out there, but I don't think you'll be happy with his results (prices)

just thought you should know,

Dave.

QUOTE FROM AN EMAIL I GOT FROM HIM. I ASKED HOW MUCH TO REPAIR OR REFURBISH MY 2 71' SWITCHES. THIS IS WHAT HE SENT.

My prices for repairs and reconditioning are: Headlight/wiper repairs

are $75.00, repair and reconditioning is $125.00. Turn signal repairs

are $50.00, repair and reconditioning is $75.00. All my work carries

a full 2 year warranty of repair, replace or refund if they fail to

perform like new during the 2 year period. 70-72 switches are fully

load tested in my 71 z before shipping.

I hope to hear from you and thank you for writing.

Zswitchman.

I just got my combo and T/S switches (for #237) back from Dave and his work far exceeded my expectations. They look and feel like new. I think this is a great value and highly recommend his repair service.

-Mike B

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update to all who are interested..

I also do the Combo/Turn signal Switch service. For $40, you send me your Combo and T/S switches and I rebuild them as a set. I clean up each switch, clean the contacts, fix any wiring issues, regrease them and send them back. ($75 for 2 sets)

I have 3 HLH's (headlight upgrade harness's) for the 240Z, in stock and ready to be shipped.

The HLH's are still $125 and are universal for ALL 240Z's

The PLH's (parking light upgrade harness) Are now $40. My supplier doubled the price of my supplies. They work on all 240Z's UP TO 3/73'

The ZXP's (280ZX alternator adaptor plug) are still $15 each and work on all 240Z's

I Still do the LED Tail Light Conversion for ALL 240Z's. The conversion is still $250. You send me your 240Z taillights and I convert them to LED. They are brighter, use less than 1/4 of the amperage and bring your Z into the 21st Century.

I STILL don't take PayPal but I do take Money Orders, Casheirs Checks and Cash. Email me for shipping and Payment info at wolfin32z@yahoo.com

Dave.

The PLH's (parking light upgrade harness) Are now $40. My supplier doubled the price of my supplies. They work on all 240Z's UP TO 3/73'

Hey Dave, I haven't had a chance to install the PLH on my 73 yet, and the statement above has me a bit worried as mine was built in 4/73. Did you mean to say up to 7/73, because the harness was the same from 7/72 - 7/73?

Nope, I meant 3/73'. Simply put, Every one who has bought a PLH from me, whose Z was built AFTER 3/73, has told me that the Combo switch's plug was changed to a small 9-pin plug, from the usual larger 6-pin (like the VR plug or the ignition switch plug.

So I put 3/73 cause they Nissan made the change some where in march of 73'

Also, the "attached Image" you showed is of the BODY harness's Not the Dash Harness's, which did change in that 1 year time frame. Probably around March? Ya think? :classic: LOL

If you have the 9-pin plug on yer Combo switch, There is a repair in the form of cutting one wire. but that's it just one wire and removing my "T" plugs to make it work.

Let me know,

Dave.

• 5 months later...

If you tear apart and operate by hand the teeter portion of the dimmer switch, the high beams work, but nothing from low beams. I disconnect the ground the high beams go out and reground on steering column and they come back on, nothing from low beams either way. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions?

The low beam wire on the engine compartment harness is Red/black. Hi beam is heavy gauge red/white. Right headlight power wire is solid Red and left headlight power wire is red/yellow.

The fuses in the fuse box are for L and R headlights, Not Hi and Lo beam. Just FYI. Also, the white hi/lo switch on the T/S stalk could be bad. Use a screw driver to jump the contacts on top of the switch and see if that works.

Email sent.

Dave.