IGNORED

78 280z wont run

ryan

i just got the car yesterday as a christmas gift all original it was running untill it was stored for 15 yrs iv changed the gas, oil, oil filter and i can get it to start up for about 5sec but the min i give gas or any thing it dies, its fuel inject which iv never dealt with them befor

Fifteen years of sitting will cause a lot of crud to build up inside the tank and lines causing a loss in fuel pressure. You will most likely have to clean out or replace the gas tank. I had to do that on mine and it had only been sitting for four years.

Fifteen years of sitting will cause a lot of crud to build up inside the tank and lines causing a loss in fuel pressure. You will most likely have to clean out or replace the gas tank. I had to do that on mine and it had only been sitting for four years.

I will second this opinion as there was A LOT of rust build up in my Z's tank when I got it. And it's tank was boiled before it was stored and it stayed in a garage for four years. I probably got out two full hand fulls of rust.

If this doesn't work there might be a wiring issue, but since you Z runs then cut's out, it is a fuel delivery issue. The fuel injectors might also be an issue since they are fairly old.

When you drained the gas what did it look/smell like? Was it kind of dark brown? More than likely you'll be doing some work on your fuel tank shortly...crud...crud...and more crud from all the years storage. Good news is you can send it out to be done or you can do it yourself...Do a search on fuel tank renu if you want to send it out...

webdawg1

I just went through the exact same problem and when I got it to start as soon as you touched the gas pedal it would die. the problem I had was the rotors in the fuel pump were stuck in place. Check your fuel pressure just after the filter and you should have arround 36psi. It won't rum worth a dam on less than that. If you take the pump appart make sure you mark it and put it back together properly. It's easy to mess up the location of the center disc so match mark all parts. I have old posts on this check them out. Also print yourself a copy of the Fuel Injection bible. I don't have the link for it but do a search and you will find it here. Good luck

I just went through the exact same problem and when I got it to start as soon as you touched the gas pedal it would die. the problem I had was the rotors in the fuel pump were stuck in place. Check your fuel pressure just after the filter and you should have arround 36psi. It won't rum worth a dam on less than that. If you take the pump appart make sure you mark it and put it back together properly. It's easy to mess up the location of the center disc so match mark all parts. I have old posts on this check them out. Also print yourself a copy of the Fuel Injection bible. I don't have the link for it but do a search and you will find it here. Good luck

Not trying to sound like a 'doom sayer' but I'll bet your car wasn't sitting for 15 years when you developed that problem. I'd like to reitererate that you tank is most likely toast and that's what you need to look at. After I had my tank cleaned the car fired up and has been running right ever since with the original, untouched fuel pump. Check into the tank first. My experience says that your fuel pump is probably okay.