IGNORED

What is "SWR rear VT commodore brake kit"

Noddle

have you tried their website

http://www.swmotorsport.com/

Thanks for that, so I take to do this you would need,

Brake Disc - Suit Conversion - Undrilled

Commodore VT Caliper Rear (Pair)

and a built bracket to hold the caliper to the axle housing ?

something like that ?

I read some where you could do the same type of conversion using R30 real Disc, and calipers ?, is that worth doing ?

Nigel

The R30 setup can be used, but TBH, the pads look a little small for serious braking. I feel there are better options out there.

Since there's no caliper that just bolts up, you need to make up a caliper bracket anyway, so why not go for something a bit better.

The Series 3 RX7 pads I use in the back of the RX2 (in Fiat calipers) look much bigger and better than the piddly R30 pads, plys Series 3RX7's have vented back discs and share the Datto stud pattern.

They may be too deep to fit the 240K rear arm, as I haven't checked it out yet. Otherwise, there are the 2 piston alloy calipers ysed on R32+ skylines (if you have a thing about keeping it Nissan)

A little research of a DBA catalogue and a lucas catalogue goes a long way.

i just got the SWR VT kit fitted on my 240k..

http://www.project240k.com/images/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=10

it seems very good and very very neat!, however there are very slight clearence issues with the handbrake cable where it goes through the trailing arm (i havn't got to fix it yet). it is also pretty $$$$ (prob over $2500 in the end). obviously (from the pics), the car is not on the road et, so i can't comment on the braking performance... but it should be PRETTY impressive

My whole braking system now consists of:

DR30 1" Master Cylinder

DR30 10" Booster

R34 GTT Calipers and Disks (296mm)

SWR VT/Falcon rear brake kit (with integrated banksia brake)

i am selling all the bits i accumulated for a rear DR30 conversion before i went for the SWR kit.. thread is here http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23570 a very good head start on the DR30 conversion!

a friend of mine who runs a PNE (Paul Newman DR30), is runng R32 GT-R fronts and the stock DR30 rears, he has gone through the mathematics and is totally convinced that the rear DR30's are good enough to match the R32 Gt-r fronts.

DR30 brakes are very different to standard R30 brakes however..

The DR30 way is a LOT cheaper..

I am pretty sure all of them are imported from japan (but maybe some of the PNE's were sold here? i am no authority i am afraid!). there are surprisingly quite a few DR's here though.. very popular in drift circles)

from what i gather, the DR's are turbo, independant rear, R200 Differential (some LSD), all disk brakes....

I think the local ones (L24's etc.) are R30's with live rear axle, drum brakes etc.. but then the jap MR30's had Idenpendant rears, disks all round. Rear disks wern't as big though as the DR30's,

it seems that everything nissan post R31 uses integrated banksia brakes within the rear disks (the handbrake assembly), so anything newer will require working hte banksia brake in too.. or you won't have a handbrake (ie. not street legal)

R31's could be used, the disks fit on, but you would need to make an adaptor to fit.. but then i don't think the R31 rears are quite up to the DR30 rear's in terms of performance ( i know.. again.. i went and bought all the stuff i needed for R31 conversion, before i bought all the DR30 stuff, before i went the SWR solution... but that was simply because i ran out of time to find a 2nd DR caliper, and HAD to do my rear brakes :( )