IGNORED

rear sway bar

mbouck2

My early 1970 240z is in bad need of bushings all around, I'v been searching the net for kits but none of the kits list sway bars for the rear of the 240, just 260 and 280Z's did most 240's not come with them? Mine was shipped from Okinawa in 1971

Also anyone no a good online source for bushing etc.

Thanks Matt

By in large the 240s did not have sway bars installed from the factory . I have a vary late '73 240 build date 8/73 and it has the hangers from the factory for a sway bar on the body pan. I found a 260 , a early one , that had a sway bar that has a couple of bends in it that allow it to pass the Diff with out hitting it. and installed it on my car with good results. Other than the early 260 Z , I have only seen after market sway bars that pass to the rear , or back end , of the car for the 240 Z . The later 260 sway bar is straight as it transverses the car , just like the 280 , and will not fit on your 240 Z, Gary

there is definetly a sway bar it has to be factory my father inlaw bought it in 1970 when he was stationed in okinawa flying for the airforce he had it shipped home, its been his everyday driver ever sence,he finaly got tired of no A/C so he gave it to me,I took some pictures of the parts laying kind of how the go, one end attached at the control arm in what appears to be a factory location, the other end was clamped to the hanger for the back inner control arm mount, the bar is 18 MM

read jmortensen's post where he said "at least in the US " . There are so many little differences in these cars it is possible that they could have had the hangers on your '70 . I don't dispute it at all . The Z that went to Europe had different suspension parts , turn signal lenses , marker lenses and bumpers without rubber. Plus no emissions junk either . I was looking at a '71 that is all original yesterday , and it had pillar vents and no vents in the hatch , and a few other differences . Gary

Hi Matt:

I don't know why you would think it "has to be" factory. You could be right, but I've never seen the factory mount the anti-sway bar to the rear of the differential in a 240-Z.

Even if it was purchased in and shipped from Okinawa in 1970 - it is a Left Hand Drive model - right? Most of the guys in the Air Force did purchase US Spec. 240-Z's in Okinawa, so that they could be legally shipped home after their tour of duty there. The VIN is HLS30 xxxxx isn't it?

If the anti-sway bar goes around the rear of the diff. and mounts to the transverse link mounts... it is more than likely the BRE after-market type. You can use just the Suspension Techniques sway bar bushing kit - to replace the originals. If you need new hardware as well - Suspension Techniques has a kit with the same length bolts, but a center spacer that is just about 1/2" longer than the original BRE kit - but it's easy to cut the center spacer down to the correct size...

FWIW,

Carl B.

USAF 1969-1973

Clearwater, FL USA

Your right about the vin HLS30-05491. He was the original and only owner and he said that he never had that mod done,maybe it was a dealer upgrade? He had the slotted dish mags as a dealer option. thanks for your input guys, you guys seem to really know your facts Im sure I'll be back for more advice. starting to take alot of pictures of the process, once I figure out this site a little more Ill star posting them,I have two pictures posted with my info for now

Just wanted to let you know that you were right,My father in law dug up the original paperwork from the dealer,and along with the dealer mags they had installed a rear sway bar aftermarket option, sure wish he had them install the ac.Thought maybe I had something rare o well its still a nice car

Hi Matt:

Thanks for letting us know. You do have something rare - a Datsun 240-Z with a known owner history and a Father-in-law that would give you his 240-Z. He must think a lot of you...

FWIW,

Carl B.

lather, rinse, repeat.

i wonder about my rear sway bar. i know the PO before my PO did a lot of work to the car. i'm going to have to check it out and see what sway bar it is.