IGNORED

72 240 won't idel after a few mins

troubledz

Hi, can someone help with this problem,I have a 72 240 that will not hold idel

The problem is that the car is at my brothers in FL, Trarpon springs , I was going to drive it back to Canada, But decided to have it shipped.Only thing is that we could not get it running to load it on the truck.

Here is the problem: Car will fire right up. it will idel , then a in a few minutes it will not hold an idel, when you let it stall, it will not fire up again it will turn over but not fire.. Has anyone experianced this before?

Thanks Dean

post-12903-14150798657692_thumb.jpg

post-12903-14150798657815_thumb.jpg

post-12903-14150798657854_thumb.jpg

Hey Ed, thanks for the info.. Yes there will be a delay.. was going to call you tomorrow morning but guess i don't have to now..LOL

You think its fuel? I know the car has been drivin about once every 3 months.. for about 3-5 miles.. so i guess it could maybe rust in the tank that is clogging the filter?

I will ask my brother to change the filter, but i don't think he is going to be able to check the floats, I still want him to get it on a truck and send it.. I can always use a dolly to get it home..

Thanks for the info

The car was picked up for the seller and drivin about 20 miles. got home and shut it down, when hot it wont fire again.. when it cools down it will fire back up again. Now I was told that inside the filter it can collect rust/dirt- when the filter drys out all the sediment falls to the bottom of the filter. after running the car for a while it plugs the filter again.. is there any truth behind this?.. I will change the filter any certain kind?

Someone else said something about a fuseable links?

Thanks for the info i got already

Could be the filter problem, but not fusible links. The fusible links are electrical, and they either work or they don't. Not intermittent.

Another thought is fuel pump(s). They can fail when hot but work when cold...

Now I was told that inside the filter it can collect rust/dirt- when the filter drys out all the sediment falls to the bottom of the filter.

It's very easy to put in place an aftermarket fuel filters that's clear. This will quickly tell you if sediment is the problem.

Hey Arne, the fuel pump is a mechanical not electric. it can fail, my thoughts were that it works or it doesn't
Nope, mechanicals can fail in just this manner. I've had it happen just like this on Chevy V8s. The diaphragm can be affected by heat - get it warm and it stops pumping. Let it cool and pumping resumes.