IGNORED

300ZX seats in 240Z?

Zed

• 4 weeks later...

• 6 years later...

Zed

I have 92 Z32 seats in my 73. They mount too high for my 6 ft' dness and required that I cut down the body seat mounts. I replaced the floor crossmember with a 2 x 1" steel channel welded in, that bought me about 1.5" and removed the rear mount pads to mount the rear through the floor.

I had to modify the seat rail mounts extensively, as stock, they mount to a non-flat floor in the Z32. Other than about 8 hours cut weld and fab work, they bolt right in!

The power drivers seat is about 3x heavier than a stock Z seat, but man are they comfy on my aging butt, and they look good too! Best of all, the shape of the seat cushion where it meets the backrest pivot area fits well with the 240 shape floor pan shape behind the seats to allow the seats to be pushed nearly as far back as the stockers.

PM your email and I'll send some pics.

Jim

I put '90 Z32 seats in my '73 and they were "almost" a bolt-in. Essentially, I removed the S30 seat rail sliders from the stock seats, ovaled out the mounting holes and bolted them directly on to the Z32 seats(after removing their mounting sliders) using the mounting bolts from the Z32. As the brackets were then about 1 1/4" wider than stock so I drilled new holes in the mounts in the car outboard towards the door and inboard towards the tunnel as evenly divided as possible. The result is a better seat with more padding and firmer thigh and back support. I am 5'10" tall and have about 2 1/2" of clearance to the roof. It would be difficult to wear a helmet with these seats without somehow lowering them, but as I don't race the car it is a non-issue. I have pictures of the install and if you want to see them send me a pm with your email address and I will send them along. It was a good swap and fairly easy. I did NOT use the power seats. They are both manual with the driver's seat being adjustable up and down front and back, fore and aft, a back support, adjustable seat back sides, and recline. I love them.

Cheers, Mike

You might also consider seats from an Air Cooled 911. I installed them years ago. They are leather and they complement the interior. I did have to take 2 metal straps to adapt them to the existing seat rails, but there was no drilling or bending required. I also had to switch the seats. Meaning that the drivers seat is now on the passenger side and the passenger seat became the drivers seat. The seats sit a little lower than the originals, but that is easily cured with some washers or thicker metal straps.

Good luck

Alan