IGNORED

OEM size tires on ANY C110 variant anywhere.

aarc240

Who has data on tire width fitted to any and all C110 cars, regardless of variant or market?

Related would be track of vehicle.

We know about the 1.3 rule but ....

I have 245/45ZR16 on front and 255/45ZR16 on rear, neither of which comply with the 1.3 rule.

However because I have used 280zx front hubs (they are almost identical to C110) and 280zx rear stub axles (not quite a bolt in but not hard) it appears that I may get away with using the widest tire from the 280ZX as the base size.

Naturally DOT would prefer to have C110 specs as the base so that a precedent isn't set.

So, the ideal is to be able to show that a C110 SOMEWHERE had an optional tyre size at least 195.

Can anyone help?

Who has data on tire width fitted to any and all C110 cars, regardless of variant or market?

Related would be track of vehicle.

Art,

You probably already know this, but the widest tyres that came standard on the UK market C110-series were 175HR-14 ( on 5j wheels ). That's what is says in the factory service manual anyway.

In Japan, the GT-R also came with 175HR-14 so that doesn't really help - but the Sports Option lists offered an 8j magnesium wheel option, which might help your case if you could back it up with hard evidence?

How about the track of the GT-R - would that be any use? Factory data shows the rear track width ( wheel centre line to wheel centre line ) as 1375mm. I believe this was slightly wider than the other models, although I don't see any track data in the UK market factory manual.

Only other thought that came to mind was the extra overall width of the GT-R with its overfenders, quoted as 1695mm. Don't know if that would help you...... ?

Sometimes I feel lucky to be based here in the UK. We have a really easy time of it compared to elsewhere when it comes to regulations pertaining to old and modified cars.

Alan T.

i have it on the aust parts catalogue as being:

40310-R5001 Set - Tyre & Tube 165HR14(GT Hardtop)

40310-E8840 Set - Tyre & Tube 175HR14 (GT Hardtop)

that is one of many part numbers for different 165x14 and 175x14.. but nothing bigger seems to be listed.. they seem to be on 14x4.5J rims... according to the japanese parts manual the KPG has 14x5J rims.. but i didn't see any tyres specified :(

i also just saw a picture of a jap spec C110 in the jap parts manual with a rear window wiper on the GTX-EB.. cool :)

I am planning to run 16x8 and 16x8.5" rims (no idea what size tyres), but i will be fully engineering the car (hopefully this will solve my problem with tyre sizes!)

Thank you Alan and Kent.

I will use the 280ZX argument then.

Kent, I sure hope the engineered approach works for you but it might be doubtful.

The 1.3 x (widest optional fitting for that model) rule is part of the 'National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP)' and since each State and Territory is a signatory to that Code there could be some serious resistance to going outside the Code.

By 'modifying' the suspension with 280ZX parts and going with an approval for that I have a new track and wheel spec based on the 'uprated' components!

hmm.. let me know how you go with it then...i may be able to get away with a similar strategy as i am actually using Z31 halfshafts, 260Z Diff, and 280Z stub axles.. so not sure what that will allow me, but i hope the Z31 (or 280Z) would have been a little more "civilised" when it came to wheel widths..

The Hakosukas came with 7.45x14 tires, which equated to the current 175R-14 as posted above. I would suspect that the C110 used the same profile. I have a 185R-14 as a spare, and it's a tad too wide to sit properly in the spare well.

Found a little more:

240K GL HGC110 FSM has wheel spec 5.5" J 14, tire 185/70HR14

Still not enough to get away with 255's!

Alan, thanks for confirming the body width. I just don't know how much weight that will carry when talking to a bureaucrat.