IGNORED

Control arm bushing

Doehring

Hi all,

I have to replace the old control arm bushing but I don't have that special Nissan tool that is mentioned in the manuals. I also don't want to take off the suspension but only pull down the control arm a few inches to get to the bushing. The job looks to me a bit like the "spindle pin puller problem".

Has any one experiances and advice how to do it in a comfortable way?

Thanks for help

Rolf

So your going to pull the spindle pin while the control arm is still on the car? And then you want to remove the bushings with the control arm still on the car. First, are you going to make or use some kind of spindle pin puller? Don't use a hammer, it will create a mess if the pin is really stuck.

To remove the bushings use a hack saw. Remove the blade and stick it through the hole. Reassemble the blade. Cut a 1 cm piece out of the inner sleeve all the way to the outer sleeve. Pry out the piece of sleeve with the rubber. This should leave you a 1+cm space on the outer sleeve to work on.

Using the same teqnique with the hack saw carefully cut the outer sleeve. Make sure you don't cut the control arm. Then use a hammer and a flat tip screwdriver and get the entire bushing out. Lube the new bushing before you install.

Sorry friends,

my problem now is the bushing in the front control arm, the rear is done (exept the spindle pin!). I fear to work on the ball joints and the bearings that are okay! I read something about a "deepwell socket acting as a punch, a pipe collar for back up and a spacer to keep the control arm from being collapsed". I can't imagine how that looks like and I do not know if it works with the control arm only loosened at the engine side. Is there any experiance?

Rolf

Rolf

I aggree with the gues, I'm in the same process right now, unbolt the control arm from the the ball joint, comp. rod ..etc and the big bolt at the ineer side and take it to a workshop to be pressed out and to press the new ones in.. with me costed only 6$ a 10min job..

but I had a problem putting the bew ones in coz thier inner sleeves are longer than the old ones, actually the old ones got compressed due to the bolt pressure...

I'll try to put a bolt with a nut inside the place to be inserted andkrack open it:) to let the new bushing lide through..

I hope that you eont need that mechanis;)

all the best!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all who gave me advice. I did as a7dc recommended, that was easy. I brought the control arm to a shop and they pressed the bushings out in very few minutes, for free! By working on the suspension I also found out how easy it is to take out the whole strut: Three upper bolts,two under the steering knuckle plus the brake hose, that's all.