what attracts you to datsun's Z?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. what attracts you to datsun's Z?

• curves
    • inline 6
    • independant rear suspension
    • japanese
    • all the above and more
    • it goes deeper than metal and machine...

For me it was the curves, the handling and the fact these cars to me are a hot rodders dream. Theres a ton of ways to build up the suspension and you get quite a bit of power out an L-series engine. Theres also quite a few engine conversions you can do if you want to get crazy horsepower. Also because of the area I live in they are rare here (I live in MA aka the rust belt) so the uniqueness is also key.

I passed the local Datsun Dealership, on my way back home, from an unsuccessful attempt to trade my 67 911S on a 70 911E. Seeing that Silver 240-Z sitting on the showroom floor caught my attention as quickly as seeing Goldie Hawn in a bikini in 1970! Man.. what beautiful lines!!

I turned around, went back to that Datsun Dealership and wound up buying my first 240-Z. In the process I made a lifetime friend - the Dealer. As well as many others such as Galaxybj (aka Bill) above.

Over the 36 years that followed, I've been lucky enough to have owned just about any other car I've ever wanted. From AMX to Z they all came and went with the exception of the Z. Having put close to 68K miles on that 70 240-Z in less than two years, I sold it and bought the Metallic Blue 72 240-Z from the same Dealer and which I still have to this day.

On the one hand I'm really happy that I have been privileged to have had the opportunity to have purchased Datsun 240-Z's when they were new; and to have completely enjoyed them for the past 36 years. On the other hand, I sure wish I was 25 again, and just now buying my first 240-Z. The 240-Z is every bit as beautify and just as enjoyable today as it was in 1970.... but I'll never be 25 again.... for that matter I'll never be 60 again!!

Darn, I envy you young guys just starting your love affair with the 240-Z....

FWIW,

Carl B.

BTW - I'm sorry you had to wait so long Bill - but I have to say that your Silver 71 was one of the most beautiful 240-Z's I've ever seen. Lowered with the 5spd and BRE headlight covers (both clean and matching body color)... it was a knock-out!!

it really was all of the above for me. i've always loved japanese(the cars,culture and women!) and have owned several 240sx's. however i owned over 22 cars since i was 16 (im only 21 now) and not a single one has ever stuck with me. my 240sx's were faves, but left me longing for something cosmetically. plus it seemed that ever kid out there had one with one of those huge arse coffee cans on the back. i have loved jap cars since i was a baby.and i dont like it when people think im one of those fad following kids. thats when i found my uncle's Z. he traded it to me for my yota truck. a 74' 260 with a well built L-28/triple mikunis. i loved that vehicle. then some @$$ did me in on a hit and run. insurance jacked me too, they said my datsun was only worth 50$ !!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! so now im restarting my love affair with two new ZX's 280's of course, its not really a Z unless its got the straight 6.

What were you doing on Okinawa then? I spent some time there with MAG-36 in 83 and 84, and I agree, the Z was the hot car on the street :)

I was a dependent, my mother was a JAG stationed at Foster and I spent the summer there working for the Facilities Engineering folks for extra money and just soaking in the culture and the experience. I loved it so much I've been stationed at Kadena for 3 years and Yokota for 2-1/2 and am trying to figure out how to get back to Kadena. I distinctly remember seeing two Skylines racing down the expressway from Nago followed a minute later by a FairladyZ police car! There were alot of really neat souped up 4 door Skylines and Laurel coupes but those 1st gen Fairladys were just hot hot hot! Even after I came back I saw a Fairlady a Marine had brought back at Camp Lejeune and wished I had stayed longer on Okinawa to appreciate it more. On a trip to Hong Kong I bought a remote controlled ZX because it was what they had (wanted a 1st gen) but also because I just loved those Z cars. I bought a 260 in '86 and my first 240 in '91 and Iv'e had one ever since.