IGNORED

What is Rice?

hls30.com

I tink in some cases it is ignorance, in some it is simple enthusiams, and in others it is a lack of attention on the parrents part("I think you are trying to get back at your parents, that's what I think." Thornton Mellon(Rodney Dangerfield) Back to School).

Will

My older brother was always a North American type car buff, everything was Vettes and Chevy IIs, 327s and 396s.

When I was 18 (1976) he was 29, he had a 67 vette (327 x 4 spd) and I had just bought a 71 240 - I was very pleased and sought his approval. When I showed it to him, he looked it over, took it for a spin and simply said "nice rice". I felt satisfied that he liked it. I never interpreted the comment as negative in any way - I just thought it meant "cool japanese car".

I have frequently refered to Asian cars as rice or ricers - nothing negative attached, just indicating manufacture origin. I have heard this term fairly often in the same context.

My take on RICERS! Certainly another niche for car enthusists. Sure some of there rides look funny to some of us but, one thing is for sure...they are at least into cars! Maybe this Ricer thing is similar to the generation gap thing....anyone with some age knows what I'm refering to! Most of them are just young kids with little $$$ and probably less knowledge about cars but, they know they need a trick looking car to be cool. So lets be a little more understanding about the Ricers. Who knows, they may one day mature into folks like use......LOL Besides, some of their cars are quite entertaining to see and listen to. Consider it free entertainment. Being different than the status-quo always brings on resistance.

• 2 weeks later...
My take on RICERS! Certainly another niche for car enthusists. Most of them are just young kids with little $$$ and probably less knowledge about cars but, they know they need a trick looking car to be cool.
I'd say it's just another example of how parents don't care about their kids enough to show or share with them real standards of quality or life. Instead, they just let the kids fend for themselves, and while the kids aren't off trying to get into trouble, they invented the ricer style as a way to show of ftheir hormones. These kids end up reverting int otheir animal selves, and you see what happens: BIG-ger, LOUD-er, MORE of whatever they think will get them to the lead-dog position.

No respect for what they DO have, or what he designers intended the machine to be.

thx

I'd say it's just another example of how parents don't care about their kids enough to show or share with them real standards of quality or life. Instead, they just let the kids fend for themselves, and while the kids aren't off trying to get into trouble, they invented the ricer style as a way to show of ftheir hormones. These kids end up reverting int otheir animal selves, and you see what happens: BIG-ger, LOUD-er, MORE of whatever they think will get them to the lead-dog position.

No respect for what they DO have, or what he designers intended the machine to be.

thx

Sounds like a personal problem TomoHawk! They're just kids trying to be cool. Certainly they don't meet your approval, and lord knows they should have checked with you first before blinging their ride out!!! I'm sure every generation has its differences....but the fact of the matter is, these kids dig cars! OK, they don't meet your standards....but since when did you become the marque by which all must comply? I would guess that there have been times when some of these kids have seen you in your Z and said....Yo dude, check out the figgin geek in the Z!!! Enough said.:dead:

thx

Couldn't the same be said of the way the original hot rodders modified their cars in the 50s and 60s? I'll bet that some of their parents saw things this way.

Well, there's 'art' and there's some people's desire to satisfy the hormones, and there's a desire to just be different. Everybody see's those things in a different way, and hopefully, the outcome is something positive. It's just that each kind of thing belongs in a different place. Sometimes I get the feeling that ricers are trying to push theit lifestyle onto the rest of society.

Those old rodders probably are doing things much in the same way as the ricers. Only time will tell if it was a good thing or bad. My take is that the rodders helped develop what is now modern cars & competition/sportscars.

Personally, 'art' isn't so bad a thing, like those old rat-rods or bikes, that are covered with junk, just to look unique. I'd still rather look at & travel in a rusty old 40's ford truck, than a blinged-out rice. The old truck has what I call character.