IGNORED

OBD II question for the gurus

SER240Z

I need some help from the gurus on this site. I am in the market for an OBD II scanner. I've also been looking at the PC software equivalants. I was just wondering which one if any, some of you guys use.

Sorry it's off topic, but I figure this board has some of the most knowledgable car minds that I have access to.

Thanks in advance

Scott

I have an Actron - not bad, it's cheap but it does the trick.

If you are simply looking to do diagnostics, I don't think the "bells and whistles" models give you that much more for the money. Keep in mind I am a shade tree mechanic, so how you plan to use this might affect the decision.

I have one of the more simple ones made. It reads codes and clears them. Bought it on eBay for about $25 and it's always worked when I needed it. That's not very often however since I only use it on my wife's cars or a friends car that has that setup. I looked into the PC software type but they were just too pricey for the amount of use I'd get from one.

Hi Scott,

I purchased a Equus #3100 unit from a pawn shop. They also go by the name Innova. It was dirt cheap and it works great. Used it on my Xterra when the wife left the gas cap loose. The dealer wanted ridiculous bucks to hook up their diagnostic machine. It also helped me determine a evaporative emissions problem that was a quick cheap fix thankfully.

I've seen mine go for around 130 to 175 at various places.

Chris A.