IGNORED

Smog test

tanny

Speaking of smog...... My 73 240z triple Webers were running rich so I was pretty certain my car would not pass the AZ smog test. Failed miserably. Unfortunately AZ only exempts pre 1966(or 1967?) so I obviously had to do some major carb work. I am putting 1972 SUs on, but I have absolutely no smog equipment on the car(the way I bought it, and the po didn't save any smog equipment). Is it possible at all that the car could pass with just the stock carbs, or will it be necessary to try and find all of the smog equipment and put it back to totally stock? The engine is rebuilt and runs well otherwise. These smog guys weren't even interested in carbs or any other mods, so I don't think having the roundtops from a 72 in my 73 will matter. They were only interesed in what came out of the pipe. Also unfortunate is that I will have to get the test every year. Although I don't want to, I have been thinking of registering the car in CA or the west slope of CO(30 year exemption) if it becoms too problematic to get it passed in AZ. Any suggestions on where to find all of the smog equipment? I know that my 73 came with the boat anchor carbs and more extensive smog setup than the 72, but I would sure like to have it pass with the round tops. If I end up having to put all the smog stuff back on, is there a good diagram or article that would help me with the 72 smog reconstruction? Thanks, Victor.

On my '73 I used the round tops with the '73 intake. On the '73 intake there was a screw valve that I kept and ran a hose under the intake open to atmosphere and cracked it open enough to pass the tail pipe emissions we have for cars 25 yrs old or older. Mine is missing the smog pump and I am using a 280z exhaust manifold. It doesn't have any of the air tubes.

Now I have the 5 yr plates and don't need to smog it for as long as I have the 5 yr plates. Colorado emissions don't seem to care about what the car was suppoosed to come with as far as emission equipment. We have the IM240 for '82 and newer which is the same as AZ. This yr will be the last yr for my 280zx to have to have emissions. then I will get 5 yr plates.

Didn't you live in Durango? When did you move to AZ?

I had the same problem with the county I live in. And I no longer have the SU's to put back on the engine. Instead I registered my car as being kept in a nearby county that does not require smog tests. Only certain parts of my State require smog checks.

I'll do what I can with the roundtops. Maybe I can find a mechanic here in Tucson who is familiar with getting cars to pass the smog test. At least find someone with an exhaust analyzer and see if we can mess with the carbs and timing and get it to pass. What a pain. Thanks, Victor.

Darrel,

I moved to Tucson a couple months ago due to divorce, health, and both kids are in college now, so I headed for warmer parts. Don't know anyone here but am actually enjoying being by myself and pursuing my own projects for once. Finishing things on the Z that I had put off for quite awhile. Thanks for the info, Victor.