IGNORED

vin number

26th-Z "All cars - a plate screwed to the RF strut upright in the engine bay."

UK spec. 260z (late models definately) had a "separate plate attaching area" behind the RF strut upright. see pic.

Cheers

Ian

post-6856-14150797904765_thumb.jpg

WOW. I learned something. I was under the impression that all of the [edit] American [/edit] 240/60/80 styles (69-78) were HLS30 designated, except for right hand drives (RLS30)...I was way wrong!

FWIW, My early 260 (2/74) RLS30 025991 has the ID plate on the inner fender in front of the right strut tower.

Here's a picture of the ID plate and the VIN location on the firewall.

Todd

Todd, I think that picture is what green machine needs. RIP260Z that's behind the LF strut tower you pictured not in front of the RF tower as Chris stated. Same place it is in my 78 US spec 280Z.

• 9 months later...

I just purchased a '78 280Z, and the plate by the left shock tower has the VIN number only, which matches what is on the door frame and dash plate. The engine has a different number. Is the engine a replacement? Is there a way to tell the vintage of the engine based on the engine serial number?

Thanks.

C

Just to calrify...

You are saying that the number on the engine block does not match the Engine Number on the ID plate on the strut tower?

As far as whether you can tell vintage... I'm not sure how far it can be narrowed down.

Does the number on the engine start with L28 or F54? This will narrow it down to a Z (L28) or ZX (F54) block... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nate

Z or ZX if it is an L28 the engine serial number will begin with "L28"

Get the Engine Serial Number - and we'll see if we can match it up with something close - for which we would have an idea of the date of manufacture.

The "F54" is one type of casting number found on the lower part of the block.

Carl B.

Thanks for all the replies. The number on the strut tower, dash pad, door jamb, are all the same, ending in 125. Looking under the spark plugs closest to the firewall, the only number I see on the block is 254234. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

What has me confused is some threads say there should be an engine number on the strut tower, that may or may not be different than the VIN. Since I only see the VIN on the strut tower (and nothing that references engine number) I am confused.

Thanks.

C