Your opinion on tires. - Page 5 - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Your opinion on tires.

Featured Replies

Hmmm, I haven't seen the 3% warning before. I can imagine a few reasons to be concerned, but none seem likely enough to put a big warning up.

post-4803-14150801951133_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, I haven't seen the 3% warning before. I can imagine a few reasons to be concerned, but none seem likely enough to put a big warning up.
From my days selling tires, I recall that there were several issues around the 3% figure. Most had to do with varying local regulations, and load capacity safety buffers.

But the brake warning (as I recall) had to do with modern cars with anti-lock brakes. Which is most anything these days. I seem to recall that some ABS controllers get fatally confused if the diameters of the tires are not all similar. After all, ABS works by comparing the relative rotation speed of all the tires. Not a problem as long as all the tires are the same size, even outside the 3% window. But most people don't change their spare to match. So if you have a flat on one of these ABS equipped cars and your spare tire is not within 3% of the rest of the tires, ABS problems can arise.

And ABS problems can be expen$ive! Which is probably the reason for the warning. "We told you not to do that!"

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
This is the chart I use. I like it because it shows you the tires in pictures so you can see a visual comparison.

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

That websites tight!

I can use that to find all sorts of rims and see if the offset

will clear the backspacing ahead of time !!

Great Find MARS :rambo:

From my days selling tires, I recall that there were several issues around the 3% figure. Most had to do with varying local regulations, and load capacity safety buffers.

But the brake warning (as I recall) had to do with modern cars with anti-lock brakes. Which is most anything these days. I seem to recall that some ABS controllers get fatally confused if the diameters of the tires are not all similar. After all, ABS works by comparing the relative rotation speed of all the tires. Not a problem as long as all the tires are the same size, even outside the 3% window. But most people don't change their spare to match. So if you have a flat on one of these ABS equipped cars and your spare tire is not within 3% of the rest of the tires, ABS problems can arise.

And ABS problems can be expen$ive! Which is probably the reason for the warning. "We told you not to do that!"

Yeah, go figure though.

Mordern day stuff is the reason why my favorite rim company,Tenzo,

don't make any style for Z cars cause of that front wheel drive

offset crap.

Dang postive offset :mad:., +22, whats that about :rolleyes:

Dang postive offset :mad:., +22, whats that about :rolleyes:
It's about engineering. Even a majority of the few RWD cars made today use positive offset. My BMW has 17x8 +38 on it...

I had yokos 205 55 16 it was a hard ride and the tires wore down too fast.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.