IGNORED

brick wall meets 240z:I need help

andrewg3300

well, I know what you mean. that is one reason i have been putting the v8 swap off. because the straight 6 hasnt failed me yet.I dont want to waist it all on cheap trills and rock and roll. besides, it is a dailly driver. i wont get rid of the motor/trans untill it quits or i get a good offer on them.

thanks for the input. I like to try things and see what I can do. this sounds like a pretty involved task. I would like to take to a shop but I am forced to to do this on my own(money). I am going to be patient and see how far I get.

Hey, BTW can anyone tell me what "bog" means

Although im not an aussie, but have some aussie friends, Im 94.3% sure he means "bog=bondo"

anyways, based on the very rear of the quarter panel, the part around the taillight mostly I have to say you need to section out the quarter panel and

put a new one in. also that lower panel below the bumper is in pretty bad shape as well.

I think the reason most say to cut and paste or put a new quarter panel in is because the cost of bodyshop hours to pound out and reshape the quarter,

would exceed the cost of the new sheetmetal & labor to install.

was the gas tank pushed in as well?

how about the inner rear body?

(below the carpet, and also behind the right side &

rear plastic interior panels)?

It looks to me the whole right side is "down" a bit..the bodyline seems low...or maybe its just the camera angle?

hey i will put some new pics on in a few. Yes the gas tank is pushed in and the metal around the spare tire is pushed in a little. This is because before i bought the car someone rear ended the car and tried to cover it up with sheet metal. If you look in the picture where the rear roll pan is There is alot of damge. I believe that the previous owner got rear eneded and didn't bother to tell me, now i have to deal with his problem and mine. So the right side is down a bit and that is why i think i need to start with a fresh panel. What about the metal around my spare tire? I will go take some pic to help explain what i am talking about. Thanks a mill

Bog = Bondo (aka Polyester Body Fill Material)

I've repaired a couple of these, and it is decidedly NOT easy. It CAN be done, but unless you have the various different tools you need, and a welder, and the time, and the expertise.....you'll find yourself overwhelmed.

But that's just MY opinion.

Why not see what the other member's have to say.

E

here are a few pics of the rear roll pan and spare tire area. i hope this helps with advice and such. i only wish i knew more. all the help i have got so far has been better than great. thanks.

Yep. that rear floor has got some damage....

I dont think anyone mentioned the idea, but have you thought about maybe

picking up another Z? one without the severe bodywork you need, maybe a not running one, and transfer your drivetrain? and use you existing car as a donor for whatever else? I know its not a pleasant thought, but weve seen some pretty decent 70-73 Z's sell in the last few months in the 0-1000 range

and your bodywork is probably over that fairly easy.

I am with Lance and E. on this one yes, it can be fixed. But with all the special tools required to fix it you are better off to get another one and use this one for parts or sell it to someone who has all the tools to get it done. As was said there have been several 240's sold this spring that would make it easier, quicker and most likely cheaper. Most of them in the TX,AZ area.

I can not remember working on a z that did not have damage to the lower roll pan area.

I will start keeping my eye open for a decent shell, but it is truly a job to find a car with minimal rust. catch 22. but you are both right. thanks for the help yall. i do have my eye on one but like i say the undercarriage is rusted worse than mine. thanks again. OUT