IGNORED

Knight Rider

The C110

I have something to ponder over,

Last night while driving home, i began to give the car a bit. Nothing out of the ordinary, just enjoying its abilities. The thing that struck me, and that has struck me in this situation on many occasions before, was the power delivery. At night, it appears, when the air is dense, the car feels at least 20-30 hp stronger, is more responsive than at any other time, and pulls like a train from low down right up to 6k rpm or so. Yet, during the day, and generally when ever most of my driving is conducted, the car and its power delivery never feel so sinuous, complete and all-of-a-piece. Is there any way i can emulate this mode of operation - id love for it to run like this consistently :D

So my questions are as follows. Has anyone else experienced a similar phenomenon? Is it just the air density, or other factors? Would a 'cold air' intake make a big difference?

It is by no means sluggish during the day, but the difference is enough to make me crave the 'knight rider' style all the time :smoke:!

I was driving my mom's 1993 Mazda Protege tonight, and I can't get it to do 100 during the day, haha. BUT! After dropping off my girlfriend I got it to do 100. The night does unleash power somehow, I don't know how, but I know exactly what you mean.

Completely unrelated, but the other day i saw a black z31 300zx with rego plates that read "niterider".

Cold air is denser, so you get more air/fuel mix into the engine. I dont think you get as much extra power as 30 hp though.

Hey Tom, What sort of induction system you got at the moment? You went with z twin carbies didnt you?

You could use a stock z airfilter box and run a pipe into it from the front of the car somewhere. other alternative is bonet vents, to lower the temperratuure in the engine bay.

I can't speak for my Z as I haven't driven it enought at night to say, but in my 96' Sentra, the only time i have gone over 110 MPH was back in high school when I was going toe to toe with my buddies Mustang down a long straight highway. It was 3am, 40F and a stiff tailwind. The car has never seemed to be able to go that fast ever again, but then again once I saw the needle approach 120 I backed off (I was afraid my engine would explode). I think the cool temps and air density can help a whole lot in the power of a car.

I have never and will never bring the car to those speeds again, it's just to old now. But that one 'race' got every speed jones out of my teenage body and I never had the need to 'go really fast' ever again in high school.

As for my Z, I will leave the speed demon stuff to the track days.