IGNORED

Nerves about timing chain

xxjoeyxxeb

Joey,

I'm not sure what the tape says about a screwdriver, but I did this years ago. When I did it, I used a piece of wood that I fashioned into a wedge. This held the chain against the side of the block and the sprocket on the crankshaft. I drilled a hole in the top of the wedge and put thick thread/rope through it so I could pull it out when I put the head back on. You might also look around on the internet for a mfg. plastic piece that does the exact same thing as the homemade wedge I used. Hope this helps. It's really not as bad as it sounds to do this, go for it!

Bob

heres a visual:

Maybe later i'll take a pic of the one I made for reference.

Edit:

I added the picture of mine. I notice mine is alot shorter than most people's... I actually had no problem with mine, or getting it out of the chain when I was done.

post-5825-14150797211257_thumb.jpg

post-5825-14150797214089_thumb.jpg

Anyone have a pic of where to wedge this? I haven't taken that part off yet, but I'm guessing wedge the wedge between the side of the chain/sprocket and engine block?

Straight down the timing cover onto the top of the crankshaft gear so the chain is on either side of the wedge.

PS, I think you need a shop manual before you do this job. It will show you things like this and give you torque specs and other helpful information.

I have used a long screwdriver (18") with good success. Stick the handle down and rotate it for a snug fit. The other end of the screwdriver sticks up far enough to have access to remove it later.