IGNORED

LSD diff question

mglk31

Quafe[GEARS W/VISCOUS PLATES],nissan[VISCOUS COUPLING],zero[GEARS W/VISCOUS PLATES And Torson-gleason[GEARS] which are like the units found in the hummers,but smaller.they My Not Be Available anymore.Their may be more but these are the diffs we use.they are all vary good diffs.depends on the application of the car.

JZM..

Quafe[GEARS W/VISCOUS PLATES],nissan[VISCOUS COUPLING],zero[GEARS W/VISCOUS PLATES And Torson-gleason[GEARS] which are like the units found in the hummers,but smaller.they My Not Be Available anymore.Their may be more but these are the diffs we use.they are all vary good diffs.depends on the application of the car.

Quaifes do not have gears with viscous plates. That have helical gears which get driven into the case itself when the side gears try to move at different speeds. The friction of the gear interfering with the carrier is what limits the slip.

Torsen makes a unit that looks almost identical to a Quaife, then they have another one which uses the helical gears on their own little axles. The second type looks superior to me.

Nissan makes a clutch type LSD, you can also get the exact same unit through www.differentials.com sold under the name Power Brute. Runs about $500. They also make a viscous version, but I wouldn't recommend it.

KAAZ and Cusco make R200 diffs for 240SX's. They fit, but you have to make sure you get the one that replaces a 240SX open diff, and not the 240SX viscous LSD, which has a different spline count on the inner CV shaft. These are more expensive than the Power Brute, but you can get them in 1.5 way or 2 way, where the Nissan is just 2 way. I think either of these should be $800 or less.

There are some others that I'm not as familiar with. 260DET has a gear driven unit that is from Oz that runs $800AU if I remember correctly.

Here's an explanation of the Torsen I consider to be the better design. http://www.sonic.net/garyg/zonc/TechnicalInformation/TorsenDifferential.html

Another good page that explains how several of the different types work: http://www.billzilla.org/diffs.htm

The billzilla link above has a picture both types of Torsen, and I used to have a link to a good article that laid out the frictional forces involved in a gear driven diff, but I can't find it anymore. Sorry.

The KAAZ unit is available 1 way , 1.5 way or 2 way.

Put a 2 way in an early R200 under our KHGC110, just about indestructible is my opinion (FWIW !!).

Tried the Torsen with seperate axles in Dana 44 front end in a Jeep Cherokee, took less than 12 months for the 400 Chev engine to destroy it.

Search on the internet. There are a lot of people who say 2 way is only good for drifting, and suggest a 1.5 way for autox or road racing. I'm running the Nissan 2 way and I love it for autox and road racing, but I thought I'd point out that other viewpoint.

The KAAZ unit has more and thicker clutches than the Nissan one. It really is a better design.

• 3 weeks later...