IGNORED

240c 240k 240z

Alfadog

I understand that they all use the same engine? Is that true? Also, what about mechanics (e.g. gearbox)??

I'm looking for a parts car atm and I've found a couple, but there are plenty of cheap 240C's around and I was wondering how the parts interchange...

Hi Alfadog,

It will depend on the spec. of the donor car as to what engine and driveline it came with ( that's stating the obvious ).

The 240C and 240K that you are talking about were basically export versions of the C110 Skyline range as far as I am aware.

The C110 Skyline came with LOTS of engine & drivetrain specs, and you might even find some Japanese Home-market spec. versions over there in Australia ( that might have been privately imported ). Your Australian market 240C and K probably came with L24 engines ( single carb ) - which were essentially the same internally and externally as the L24 in the S30-series, but less compression / smaller valved and tuned for smoothness rather than power. Not worth using in a Z as a straight transplant, but good for a base to start tuning on ( although you need to change more than on the Z engine ).

Transmission and diff. wise you will also find a lot of variation. You will find both R200 and R180 diffs. in the cars, depending on spec. and market, and both four and five-speed transmissions. The five-speeds are the FS5C71B, but the ratios might be different depending on the market version ( Japanese Home-market ones had different ratios ).

You need to check out the chassis type and number on a case-by-case basis to get the information to start your research on. I might be able to help you decode those numbers if you tell me what you have found. In Australia you probably have the best chance to find something useful from the Nissan stuff you got that we didn't.

Its a real can of worms, but can end up as caviar if you know how to cook it!

Good luck,

Alan.

hey, I don't know about the 240c and k's but when my motor blew i was able to get hold of a 260c off of a mate. What i found with the 260c was only the motor was the same and came with a 240k head and a single carb. Everything else was useless to me, Personally i would try to find a cheap 240z (if possible ).

AlphaD,

It's is very worthwhile looking into these ugly beasties as they can have some wonderful parts if you know what to look for. I've managed to find an N42 head (bigger valve and with grooves for injectors) from an old skyline (C110 I think) for only $50. Adelaide Z Cars quoted me $350 for the same head!

Also on the 260C's, if you check the head designation (ie E88) you will find that a lot of them seem to run the same head as my new 260Z parts car. The reason that they are less powerful is that the carby they run is a piece of sh*t, and they are heavier.

As for the drive train, I think the trannies are the same, but do they run IRS? I seem to remember a mates was leaf sprung, but I'd have to visit the boneyard to be sure.... If they are IRS I'm out looking for an R200 straight away ;) if only I knew what to look for!

Hope that helps a little,

Cheers,

R.

No Problem Royce.

I'll grab the digital camera and head to the wreckers sometime this week (if not the w/end) and take some pix for you all.

Did anyone else get the '70's skylines? two and four door versions? I'll definately take one of the 240C,260C 240K (there was a GT version of this with the Z engine that is pretty lethal, a GT I think) and anything else that catches my eye.

Any special requests :P

Cheers,

R.