Any recommendations for battery cables - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Any recommendations for battery cables

Featured Replies

My car has been laid up since May 2005 getting the body painted. I needed a jump to get her started this morning and once home threw the trickle charge on the battery. This evening she has power but when turning the starter over she just dims out and clicks. I noticed the original battery connectors are pretty beat up. I cleaned them up but they're so bad its impossible to get them to tightened down. I'm thinking it might be replacement time. I see cables online priced from over $100 down to $6.00. Surely you get what you pay for. What I have now is the lead post connectors with the adjustment screw on the side. Anyone have a suggestion? I see one online retailer suggesting that the lead connectors sold at auto zone are not the way to go.

Not saying that these cables won't work, actually they will most likely work just fine. However the seller states that they have "brass-tin plated OEM pattern terminal ends". In fact, for a 240z at least, the terminal ends are no where near OEM style.

I only mention this so someone looking for cables that will appear to be OEM realize that these do not.

Go to an auto electrician and tell them what you want. Most have a bunch of different length, pre-made cables hanging on the wall ready to use, and they are normally a good price. I they don't have something to suit, they will make you one up. Won't be OEM, but will get everything back and running good, plus be hassle free.

  • 6 months later...

Can an 'auto electrician' make up some cables with the correct length & ends (clamp & terminal)? I'd like to add an extra tail for ground and one for headlamps, but would still like to have the proper oem look for the clamps. Those clamps with the temporary ends should be just that- temporary.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Come to think of it- what are the proper requirements for battery cables for a Zed? Does Datsun have a chart of the wire specs for certain things (headlights, starter, body lights, etc.?)

thx

i bought the same cables as Ed from eBay/Motor City Imports. i'm quite pleased with them. right length and i prefer the open clamps to the larger lead ends.

yea, Tomo

not OEM, not for stock show car. good for a driver tho.

i especially liked the plastic terminal covers for the posts. helps to protect the + post from shorting against the frame.

I am using brass ends with stainless fasteners or quick clamps. I cna't find a picture of the particulars, and don't have the pieces handy at the moment.

Will

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.