IGNORED

240z for sale in the Bay Area

znovice

looking at the pictures in the link, and the VIN, i'd say that is a 1970 model, not a 71.
Depends on how original it is, but it looks like an early '71 to me. It is a Series 1, but might be a really late Series 1 since the steering wheel has the holes in the spokes. My '71 (10/70) has no holes in the spokes, so I'd guess that is a 12/70 or maybe 1/71 car.

EDIT: Oops! I missed the VIN. Probably earlier than mine with a later steering wheel on it. Either that, or the VIN is a typo and should be 18105, not 08105.

Depends on how original it is, but it looks like an early '71 to me. It is a Series 1, but might be a really late Series 1 since the steering wheel has the holes in the spokes. My '71 (10/70) has no holes in the spokes, so I'd guess that is a 12/70 or maybe 1/71 car.

Mine is a 1/71, and I have impressions along the steering wheel spokes, no holes. strange

If I lived anywhere near San Fran I think it would be worth looking into, definately in a lot better shape than my 12/70 build 1971 Series I (no holes in steering wheel either).

FIY - from the February 1971 Service Bulletin, Vol. 137. titled

"INTRODUCTION OF DATSUN 240Z SPORTS MODEL S30 SERIES

(1971 LATE MODELS)

- - - Quote - - - - -

Build Start 01/71

HLS30 21001

HS30 00501

Page 7:

5. Steering Wheel

The steering wheel for the late 1971 is not a continuation of the former type with minor modifications to assure added safety in a collision or accident.

The modification consists of punching three holes in each wheel arm, absorbing shocks when the driver is thrown against the wheel.

The holes also radiate -"Sporty" feeling. Previously, the holes were covered by an embossed decolation.

...... End Quote.......

It would seem that all Series I cars should have the "embossed decolation" and that the steering wheel with the "holes" started with the Series II cars.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL

http://ZHome.com

...It would seem that all Series I cars should have the "embossed decolation" and that the steering wheel with the "holes" started with the Series II cars.
Makes sense. That was pretty much what I thought as well. Didn't know what VIN the Series II started with for sure until now though. Thanks, Carl.