IGNORED

Engine Running Rough

xxjoeyxxeb

Hey guys,

Well, I've had the car for almost 3 months now and have had it on jacks doing the suspension. Been trying to get it started the past week or two, but its running rough... as soon as I touch the accelerator, with the choke off, it skips badly. And when I take the choke off (after its been warmed up) the oil pressure starts to go down. Any ideas? I've checked all the hoses, no air leaks. Going to change the oil, filter, fuel filter, and any other stuff people might add.

Also, I have never heard what the engine should sound like normally, but mine sound like theres a ting or tick along the head, sounds normal for a Nissan cuz I've had them before and they all ticked louder than most cars, just wondering if thats the normal sound.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Well to start with install a new set of NGK spark plugs . Is it a 240 or what ? injected or Carbed ? Has some one installed other than stock fuel delivery systime on the engine. Have you tried anything on the engine trying to fix this ? More information is necessary in order for us to be of any help . Low indicated oil pressure MAY not be a problem . The oil sending units are a common problem . I bought a cheap mechanical oil pressure gague and connected it where the sender was installed . I did this on a temp basis just to get a true pressure reading . Do not expect the engine to respond when not warmed when the choke is off. these engines are cold blodded . You might just ease off on the choke a little and see if this helps . Gary

Hi Joe,

What year is your Z? Fuel injected or carbies? Do as Gary said and install new plugs, check the cap, rotor, & wires, etc...

If you have carbs, make sure they are cleaned and properly adjusted. Make sure the choke works and pulls the fuel nozzles down and that neither of the nozzles is stuck or binding.

A first place to start is to make sure the valves are adjusted. That may be the ticking sound you hear. Next set the timing. Then adjust the carbs. This should get the engine running good. Does the engine have good compression? How many miles are on it? The drop in oil pressure could be due to the oil, which gets thinner as it heats up, maybe the bearings are starting to wear.

Post some pics when you get a chance. Good luck getting it running good!

He talks about the choke so right there that rules out Fuel Injection. Must be either a 240 or 260Z.

Good to hear your going to change out the Fuel Filter. That very well could be part of the problem. I agree with the above statements. Start by giving it a GOOD tune up and use the correct plugs gapped correctly, wires, adjusting the carbs properly ect. and see if that helpes you out.

Good luck and let us know how you come out and don't be shy with Detail :D It helps us help you.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help! This is my first post on this site after searching a lot and you all actually had very good information. The car is an early 260z, flat top carbs. I fixed the anti backfire valve hose, because it had a hole in it, and it runs a little better. Soon as I get time I'm going to check out the spark plugs, fuel filter, and stuff that you all mentioned. It's not too big of a deal, I am going to be putting a V8 in it, but not for about a year, so I would like to be able to drive this around once in a while, you know? I don't want to drop too much into this engine. But I will post some pics! Thanks again guys!

• 1 year later...

I would say that going through the normal stuff would help. In my case, just setting the timing helped a lot. But, if you do a normal tune-up and replace the filters/fluids, it might run good enough for you. If you dig a little more, it might run well without too much more work.

I would be a little worried about the ticking. But since you are going to pull the engine anyway, it's probably not that big of a deal if the engine fails.