IGNORED

My new set of Fender Mirrors

raman

Hello all

Finally after 12 months of looking I have picked up a JDM set of Fender mirrors, Not quite the Nissan ones but I think they look the part.

Mirrors.jpg

They are meant to be off a 1970’s Toyota Celica but they don’t look as bug eyed as the usual Toyota fender mirrors.

They cost $200 Aussie not bad since the Nissan ones cost over US$300

I am making my Z into a 432 lookalike so the mirrors should suit it well.

LaCaRa

It's different, for us Yanks it takes a bit of getting used to, but in theory the fenders are a better place for mirrors. You don't have to take your eyes as far off the road to look in them, and the forward position tends to reduce (or eliminate) the typical blind spot. Of course, the image of what you are seeing is smaller, because they are farther away.

But they can really be hard on pedestrians, which is probably why no one uses them anymore on new cars.

But they can really be hard on pedestrians, which is probably why no one uses them anymore on new cars.

I guess they should not be walking on the road then - or is that driving on the footpath.

The mirrors will look good, different with the holes in the legs but still will look the part.

I find them very good, but no good for checking out the rears of nice cars as they pass... the images are very small, but you can see a lot more.

Your mirrors look nice raman. All of the early stock Celicas in Japan I have seen have slightly different mirrors though - no holes. I have however seen aftermarket ones like this... I'm not saying yours are aftermarket, I'd just like to find out what model Celica came with them! Any ideas?

post-1243-1415079670698_thumb.jpg

What is interesting is that some US automobiles had fender mounted mirrors. In my various visits to various salvage yards over the years, I've seen examples of 50's & 60's cars with fender mounted mirrors. Not many, but a few. Perhaps they just never really caught on here?

Having a second look at the mirrors - they look very much like the factory ones Dad had on his 1974 Mit GTO-GSR that me purchased new in Singapore (long sold - shame the GSR models are very hard to find these days)

The guy i got them from has said they are from a RA20 or TA22 not sure.

But when i first saw them i assumed they were aftermarket.

I think they look much better than the standard bullet mirrors or Raydots we get here in South Australia.

I can't say what they are like to drive with yet as my car is still in the workshop (Baremetal respray)

The bullet mirrors in the link above are no good for putting on the fenders of z cars. They are too short, and you dont get a decent view . Thats why the OEM ones are taller.

As for the ones Raman posted. They are aftermarket mirrors made in asia. Theres a guy selling them on ebay out of Bangkok. They look ok.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-CELICA-TA22-TA23-LEVIN-TE27-TE21-FENDER-MIRRORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33649QQitemZ8030587732QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

He's also got ones that are advertised as z fender mirrors, but arent very good copies, unless they are from a later model Z or ZX. And a ZG flare kit too.

Heres a set of genuine toyota fender mirrors.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Celica-TA22-TA23-TA28-1971-1972-1972-1973-1975_W0QQitemZ8034559895QQcategoryZ33699QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem