IGNORED

This engine,That engine...

7240z

As stated in numerous threads in the past, the primary reason to go to these other motors(L26, L28) is to get more power. Period. Aside from that, I can think of no good reason to change out the L24. One of the main reasons these later engines were perceived as having less power was due to the later cars being heavier and therefore slower. Not so. Check the numbers. The motors continued to get bigger(more displacement and more HP) to make up for the a loss of performance for two reasons: (1) design changes were made to the combustion chambers to lower compression ratios and help meet increasingly strict emission requirements, (2) to compensate for the increasing weight of the cars.

Now this is what I was sort of looking for! Thanks Enigma! But I have a few questions..With

"(1) design changes were made to the combustion chambers to lower compression ratios and help meet increasingly strict emission requirements" Did this layout make the engine slower or faster regardless of power to weight ratio? and for

"(2) to compensate for the increasing weight of the cars." could this be why the 260 and 280 were slower than the 240?

Thanks!

Ezra

A hotter burn means increased NOx. So compression goes down, and the chamber gets "open". This results in less power as well. So to compensate, you make a larger engine displacement. At the same the safety requirements are increasing, so the car is getting heavier, so the gain in power due to the increased displacement is effectively sapped out by the smog requirements and the heavier car, which is why the 260 and 280 were slower. Put that same L28 engine in a 240 and remove the smog crap, and now you've got a fun car to drive. Bump the compression and now you're really talking...

I have an L28 with and E31 head and all the other stuff is from a 240 (carbs ect). The bottom end has not had any problems and it is driven very hard all the time.

I have the option of an E31 or E88 head to go on a L28. I have read all the threads and been to every site I could find and I can't decide which I should use. Without spending a fortune which should I use?