IGNORED

black primer

bemmerguy714

Actually Mike, with Candies you're not limited to one specific base coat, although that base coat is usually NOT primer. That's not to say that you couldn't shoot Candy directly over a primer, it's usually not done.

The different bases are sometimes mixed to give some startling results in the final finish...after dozens of coats of Candy paint.

Using Black primer for the time being won't necessarily be bad, except that primer IS porous. After all that rust work you've done on your car are you sure you want to top it with a SPONGE? If you get ANY kind of rain in the next few months, I'll be willing to bet that you end up with some serious surface rust.

Your best bet is to shoot ANY kind of paint on top of the primer to SEAL the primer. Otherwise you are looking at problems down the road. Even if you use Epoxy primer as I did on a car years ago, if you drive it and get it wet, it WILL rust. So put some paint on it.

To answer your basic question, Yes the color of the primer will have an impact on the final paint job. If you use a dark color primer with a light color paint you can expect to have to paint extra thick coats of paint and possibly extra coats at that. Both lead to added expense and most importantly the possibility of a sag or a run while it's setting. The same thing applies with a dark paint and a light primer, although this is usually done to ensure that the coverage is complete and even.

E

Using Black primer for the time being won't necessarily be bad, except that primer IS porous. After all that rust work you've done on your car are you sure you want to top it with a SPONGE? If you get ANY kind of rain in the next few months, I'll be willing to bet that you end up with some serious surface rust.

E

DANG IT.. why didnt someone tell me that before I left my primmed Z out in the rain!! Parts of the car were sanded down the the bare metal and primed. I thought it was protected.... :stupid:

I was wondering where the $#%@ all of that &^%*# surface rust came from....

Hard to say. If everything is perfect, humidity, temperature, you used a good etching primer or used some sort of metal wash before primering; you might be good for a few months, maybe longer. But please don't take this as being informative, take it as a willd assed guess as at best that's all it is. If conditions heretofore have been correct, there's a chance that rust has ALREADY started, but again I'm just guessing.

If your intent is to save money, while you park your car until you can get back to it, in the long run you'd be better off spraying some form of paint on top of the primer, even if it was a rattle can paint job. When you have the time and money to get back to it, you sand that off and continue.

Between being in the garage, or outside (even if covered) I would choose the garage. The temperature won't be fluctuating as much and hopefully the humidity changes would also be lessened.

FWIW

Enrique