IGNORED

Likely selling my '72 240 - Need advice

Due to a potential career change (i.e. relocation) and the lack of adequate attention I have been able to devote to her, I have come to the conclusion that I will likely have to put the Z up for sale. :disappoin I need some help and advice on what an appropriate asking price would be, if it's appropriate to ask this here. (I value and trust what the members of this board say, which is why I'm asking for opinions.) It am truly heartbroken to have to be doing this and I sincerely appreciate all the info and knowledge I have acquired on this board since I've been here.

Here's the info (There are pics in my gallery as well):

-I am the second owner and I have owned it for about a year. It was an Arizona car all it's life and I purchased it from the previous owner's estate after he had passed away. It was religiously maintained at the same shop since it was new. I have maintenance records dating back to 1998 (when the shop first started using a computerized records). I have a copy of the original title from 1972.

-It has about 98,000 original miles on the original matching #'s engine.

-It is 99% rust free

-The original (brown) paint is faded from the Arizona sun.

-The interior is butterscotch and the seats were professionally reupholstered in a cloth/vinyl combo to match the original pattern. They're not stock but I really do like the way they were done.

-Other than new tires, the seats, and a radiator coolant reservoir that was added everything that I can see on the car is still stock and untouched, which is what attracted me to the car.

-The first thing I did after I got her home was rip out the old carpet and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

-The interior will need to be refreshed as some of the plastic pieces (i.e. around the quarter windows) are cracked from the Arizona heat and will need to be replaced.

-The dash is cracked

-The clock doesn't work

-It has a current Texas inspection.

-The gas tank was recently removed and cleaned out and the fuel lines were replaced and it runs EXCELLENT.

I would appreciate any advice the board is willing to give and ask away with any questions.

-Mike

UPDATE 2/5/06:

I have listed the Z on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4610879832

Looking at your photos I would say 4-5000 would be a good price, though the automatic will lower the value, Ive been looking at a car similar to yours, the paint is original and quite shiny, its been a california car all its like and its selling for 3500.

Just check sites like collectorcartraderonline.com and craigslist.org, to compare cars equal to yours for a price comparison.

I would say though just from the pics you car is worth a easy 4k.

If you go through the steps of meguiars, with some paint cleaner, then polish and gold class wax, it would really change the look of your paint.

That would make it look better to prospective buyers.

Sounds like a great Z car, it's a shame you have to part with it!

My thoughts are that a Z car with original paint that is in decent shape is hard to come by, and that's probably worth a little extra. A nice new paint job can really look slick, but it's hard to duplicate the patina of age of a well maintained automobile. It would be interesting to see how well the paint could be made to shine with a little rubbing compound followed by a good wax.

While the automatic may not be as desirable to some buyers, it doesn't necessarily mean it would lower the value of the car. An automatic car may not have been driven as hard as a manual car, and the engine and drive train may be in better shape. So, the potential lower value of the auto transmission is made up for with an engine/drivetrain in better condition. And, from what I've read, it's not too difficult to swap the auto for a manual, should the new owner so desire.

If I were selling a car like yours, I'd consider starting out at $6k-$7k. To me that seems like a fair price range for a solid Z car. If the car doesn't sell at that price range you can always drop the price.

Have you thought about putting it on ebay? Perhaps you could list it with a reserve price that you are comfortable with. Even if the reserve isn't met and the car doesn't sell, at least you'll get an idea of what people would be willing to pay for it.

Even though your thoughts now have turned to selling the car and how much you can get for it, I would receommend that you consider spending a few bucks on the car to increase what you can get for it. Think of it like an investment :-) I would agree that you should either work on cleaning up the paint yourself, or take it to a professional to have it done. They can do amazing things to old paint these days. Even if it costs your a couple of hundred dollars, polishing up the paint and eliminating some/all of the fading will likely add a thousand or two to what you can get for the car. You may also want to have the carpet put back in (or put in the new carpet) before you sell as well as that will likely also increase what you can get for the car. You may want to try some SeaFoam to get the gunk out of your fuel system.

You might want to list it in Hemmings Motor News (www.hemmings.com) as well, since they claim to be the "spot" for serious car collectors/buyers.

The thing is if he starts out to high he might price himself out of selling the car. If that is what he wants to do, depending on where you live and what shape the car is in depends on the price.

Right now I can show you a very clean 240Z of the 71 vintage in California, clean all the way around and all original for 4k.

The area will dictate the sales price as well as proving how clean the car actually is.

Matter of fact there is a very clean 240Z on here now selling for 2500, and this car has pics of it taken apart to actually show the total condition of the car.

Granted it needs the motor put back in but comes with the car and it is extremely clean.

Like I said depends on what your looking to get for it the area your selling in and of course the right buyer, as much as we would like to think all Z cars can sell for as much as some will buy them for on ebay, it is not a judge or good book to go by for the sale of the Z.

Ive watched many times as parts and items have gone for much more then what you can get them new, for the simple fact of people being lazy.

That is a good point though, put it on ebay and see what you get for it.

it looks clean fix carpet problem and slap it on ebay put it up for reserve price 1500.00 higher than you paid then go to zcarclub.com and tell them its for sale and put a link to item # will sell in a week and make them pick it up use pay pal and you are set i just sold a 75 260 on there the same way and the guy came and got it for tenn. it was great 77 280 88 300 zx t

I would strongly recommend against a respray. People looking at old cars (like me) recoil at new paint jobs immediately prior to sale as it practically screams out that serious issues lie just under the surface, waiting to bubble up in 6 months.... Some good buffage and cleaning may help.

New carpet? Doubt it would enhance the sale value beyond the cost of the carpet. But it might hasten the sale if someone sees it included...Probably better just to ditch the old and leave the floorpans exposed for potential buyers to inspect since its "rust-free"-ness is a big selling point.

Clean it up, take accurate pictures, and don't look like you're trying to hide anything. The car will bring a good prioce on its own merits, although it may not be immediate.

BTW, Bill McKay....nice Lotus. Green with envy here.

Steve

I disagree about installing the carpet being of no value. My experience has been that the people who are willing to pay the most $$$ want a car they can get in and drive, then maybe do a few tweeks to it later on. People who are looking for a car to do a total rebuild on pay the least $$$, as they have a lot of cost coming up after the purchase to have it redone. So, if you put the carpet (new or original) back in so it looks good, then you'll still be able to appeal to those that are willing to pay more for a car they can drive as is.

I disagree about installing the carpet being of no value. My experience has been that the people who are willing to pay the most $$$ want a car they can get in and drive, then maybe do a few tweeks to it later on. People who are looking for a car to do a total rebuild on pay the least $$$, as they have a lot of cost coming up after the purchase to have it redone. So, if you put the carpet (new or original) back in so it looks good, then you'll still be able to appeal to those that are willing to pay more for a car they can drive as is.

Not to flame, but I never said it was of NO value. Just doubted that it would enhance the sale price beyond the cost of the carpet.....

No I agree with DougN, anything that car improve the car will make it sell better, and most are wanting something nice that they can drive and eventually tweek to what they want.

I also agree with what was said about a respray, new paint, then sale sets up all sorts of red flags with me too, for the simple fact, why freshly paint the car then sell it.

Cant see putting that kind of money into a car to sell it you know.

(Playing devil's advocate)

So.....paying $2-300 for a carpet kit is OK, but $500 for a "quick respray" isn't??? It might sell for more if it had a 4-speed in it, so why not do that? Oh, and then it'd probably sell for more if that dash was replaced, and maybe if the engine was washed, and the interior plastic replaced....ad infinitum et nauseum.

Brand spankin new carpet in an interior with a cracked dash and faded cracked plastic quarter panels may look a bit out of place....

My point (some of which was missed) is that if you spend a little $$$ buffing up the car, it might sell more quickly and it might sell for a higher price than if you did nothing, but it might not sell for higher than the original target sale price of the car + $$$ spent on the buffing.

Selling your car is sorta, but not exactly, like that goofy HGTV show my wife watches called "Curb Appeal." Spend a little time and a little money in strategic ways to make your car attractive, but not so much that you risk losing that "gap" money gained.

It's an interesting thing to think about--"how much should you spend on your car before you sell it without looking like you're hiding something?" Whatever you (Mikey) decide to do, I hope you're pleased with the outcome...

Steve