IGNORED

Yet another good looking eBay Z - 240 this time

Arne

As many of us have experienced, there are always the unknowns in addition to the obvious issues on these old Z cars. Yes it's in pretty nice shape and certainly worth having but if the price gets any higher the new owner is going to have doubts latter on down the road on the price they paid and the price they will be paying to bring it back to snuff. Oh well, somebody is going to love it! It does look to have some miles on it...I'd give them $4000.00 for it.

Hi Guys:

I know the seller.... why he was willing to end the auction, once bidding started and let it go for the "Buy-it-now" price is somewhat beyond me.

At one point he said he was thinking of changing his mind about even selling it.

zhead240 - your fellow Canadian will be VERY pleased with this car at that price. No question that if he wants to drive it around the continent, he'll have to replace the original belts/hoses etc.... but he will find that a couple of grand and a few weekends work will put that car in all but "as new" condition.

I know a buyer that was willing to bid/pay more for the car if necessary - and like me, he was surprised that the car could still be purchased out-right for the Buy-it-now price, once bids were received.

We both thought that once bids were received on an item, the Buy-it-now price no longer applied.

Turns out that if the seller lists both a reserve price, but does not put in the first "starting bid"... then the seller can accept the Buy-it-now price any time it's offered, even if 50 people had already bid...

We learned something new on this one...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Agreed. I wouldn't count on the mileage, and the seller isn't actually claiming it, just suggesting. But the body does look exceptionally solid. Probably worth it. But... silver?

Geee.... what is this mess around Z color !!!! All Z has its own personnality green, yellow, red or even silver. It makes the charm of these cars cause color changes it. Silver looks more classic I admit but it is still one of the sharp color for this car. Anyway I would'nt change mine for any other.

post-7137-14150796476758_thumb.jpg

As many of us have experienced, there are always the unknowns in addition to the obvious issues on these old Z cars. Yes it's in pretty nice shape and certainly worth having but if the price gets any higher the new owner is going to have doubts latter on down the road on the price they paid and the price they will be paying to bring it back to snuff. Oh well, somebody is going to love it! It does look to have some miles on it...I'd give them $4000.00 for it.

Hi 240ZX - I'd give them $4001.00 and out bid you ;-).

I agree that there are always the unknowns and certainly agree that the cost of them can add up quickly. However close inspection of the specific car would quickly revel that it was as advertised, and in need of very little.

Seriously, if you could find a solid 71 240-Z, with little to no rust in the body - with matching numbers and mostly original parts - you'd have to pay at least $5,500.00 East of the Mississippi... and it could otherwise be a real rag. (meaning it needs paint and body work, interior work, lots of detailing, new chrome, weather stips/seals etc. etc. etc).

But let's say you did find a solid car, with matching numbers for $4K. Around here today, you'd have to disassemble the car yourself - and take the car to a local body shop for body work and paint.... a decent job would cost $5K, not to mention the hours you'd spend to take it apart and putting it back together.

The repaint on that car was done with all glass out, all chrome off etc - but they stopped short of repainting the engine bay - it was in pretty good shape in it's original form.

Subtract that $5K from the $8,400.00 selling price - and that lucky buyer actually paid $3,400.00 for a very sold, mostly original, matching number car.

Subtract the re-chromed bumpers ($800.00), the new carpet kit (??$125.00) and he actually paid closer to $2,500.00 for the car!! The car also came with the original hub caps and wheels (not too common to find on any car today)... even used they would sell for $125.00 each.. so subtract that and the new buyer actual paid closer to $2,000.00 for the car!! Oh yes, that perfect dash.. in a 71... another $800.00 to $1200.00 today... Heck, the car itself was all but a gift!

At $9,500.00 this car would still have been a good deal by todays standards, if you wanted to buy a pretty much finished car, rather than a project car.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL

http://ZHome.com