IGNORED

Elec fuel pump under hood, not near tank?

Arne

Has anyone mounted an electric pump under the hood of the car rather than back near the tank? Any issues?

I know that it is better to "push" with an electric pump than to "suck" but mounting and wiring my new pump (for SUs) would be ever so much simpler if I mount it on the inner fender above the voltage regulator. Any ideas how this might (or might not) work?

Mine is under the hood in front of the strut tower. It sucks just fine.

The only problem that I have had is that it sucks a little too well when the battery acid rusts a hole in the fuel line. The fuel line had a tiny hole for a while, but the suction kept the line from leaking. I kept "running out of gas" and hearing this sucking sound, but no gas leaks. When I disconnedted the fuel pump hose, the suction was released, gas spilled, and I found the hole.

hey Arne .. I have just mounter my new pump in the back by the tank. It was pretty easy. Just mount it on a plate on rubber. These pumps can be kinda noisy so in the back may be better. The wires should be there from your old pump too.

My opinion is that i want my motor well to be very tidy and I want to reduce the cluter there. The pump near the motor may have heat issues also ..

Just my 2 cents worth/

Cheers ..Bruce

Yes, except the '70-72 240Z's didn't come with an electric pump at all, so there is no wiring or mounting points back there. Everything has to be done custom. Much cleaner in my case to mount the pump up front where the wiring can be done neatly.

Arne, I believe the wiring is there for the pre-72 Z's, it's just that you need a certain harness near the front (maybe under dash) to go with it. Check with Carl Beck or Kim Blough, I'm sure they know.
Perhaps, although I didn't see any sign of it when I was under there. No matter, at least for now my new pump is mounted on the inner fender just above the voltage regulator. Seems to work just fine there.

As another point to this .. I left the FI gas filter where it is and put another in-line filter after it. We had fun witht gas line sizes ... 3/8 , 1/4 , etc I guess if the pump is there is is much easier to get at if you need to fix it.

Your Z has the wireing back by the tank already . provided by Nissan when the car was built. Just look on the wireing that runs from the sending unit on the gas tank back to the body . You will find the wires a green and a black taped up with blue tape . Keeping the pump cool will be best and you are right it is better to push than pull with these pumps . bpilati when you are running a ZX engine and head there is no prevesion for mechanical pump on the fuel injected engine.