IGNORED

New Radiator

The C110

Hey,

Well it looks like i may be in the market for a new radiator soon. I arrived home today, only to step out of the car and realise the radiator was dribbling coolant! It seems to have stopped now, but certainly it could be a problem.

I know recently Lachlan had to replace/repair his radiator. What did you end up with lach, and how much did it cost? Performance of said radiator?

I was interested to know of the best radiator repair/recondition/replace establishments in perth? Does anyone have any reccomendations. And do aluminum radiators cost a whole lot more than standard (steel?) ones - are they worth it? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom. I went with the most basic option in the end - just to have it recored. It cost $200 IIRC, I'll check the receipt later. I really wanted to upgrade as the car often rises above normal operating temperature waiting in traffic in the summers we have over here... but I think it was another hundred for an extra row. Didn't end up looking at aluminium radiators as I was scared of the cost. Bought all new hoses and clamps etc. so now at least that part of the engine looks clean and fresh :)

post-1243-14150796069861_thumb.jpg

Hey thats a damn good deal by the sound of things. The best quote ive got so far is $261 to recore it. That doesnt include fitting and flushing the block, for that its an additional $60. Hrm :ermm: What was the deal with your job? Did they do all that and replace hoses and fittings? Or was that something you did yourself? Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom, I took the radiator out myself and just dropped it in for them. I bought all the other stuff afterwards (Supercheap had the right hoses) and fitted it back in myself. It takes a little bit of time to get out (or a lot, if you find things don't go smoothly like I did) but it's worth it IMO - the fewer bozos who go messing with your car the better.

I have a 71 240z and my radiator was shot. I took it off, tried JB weld but it was leaking too bad to fix, or get re-cored.

I bought this radiator and I am very pleased with it. I wanted a 4 row and had one on back-order from MSA for 3 months, but got tired of waiting.

It's a 3 row and my car is running cooler than ever.

Here is the link: $190 new

http://www.radiatorx.com/datsun-240z-car_radiators-22111971024.html

Ah i see!

Im just about to start ringing around again, however, i simply dont have the time this week to unbolt the radiator myself, its getting into that crunch period at uni and i REALLY need the car - the woes of a daily driver :D! So, in all, some of the prices ive got arent THAT bad, i just need some really really good ones! Ill try to make sure the guys i get doing it arent idiots...

Thanks for the advice Mark, but as Craig mentioned, i live in australia and the car isnt a Z. Looks like a pretty sweet setup nonetheless. Cheers,

Tom

Hey Tom, looks like your price IS good. I looked at the receipt last night and it was 300, not 200. Now I remember, the cheapest price I got when ringing around was 270, the most expensive 400 and something. I went to this mob because a) it was close and B) the guy was helpful, told me everything I wanted to know.

Anyway, yeah if you don't have much time to fiddle around get them to do it - in retrospect I should have done that as it took me hours of lying underneath the car with coolant dripping on my face for what they could have done in 20 minutes. And then I had to get rid of the old coolant - can't just pour that crap down your drain.

Aha!,

That about the same as what ive been getting. The best was about $310 fitted and all, so that would seem like the goer - 1 year warranty too. Thanks heaps for your advice, hopefully its a clam, easy experience, i really dont want to tear my hair out over it. Regards,

Tom

My Uncle was a body-fender man before becoming the shop manager. He always said that it really didn't matter who you went to, as most radiator shops were reputable and trustworthy. However, it was his opinion (or experience) that certain cores were better than others. He especially liked the Lakes brand core. While you're there, tell the radiator man that you want to polish the top, so don't paint the top tank and solder the brackets as neatly as he can. Nothing looks better than that polished brass radiator top tank.