IGNORED

77 240K Sedan

Mr Camouflage

I'd been looking around for a second car, as the skyline still isn't back yet and wanted a car that i could park at work all day, and leave the skyline at home for the other half to use. (her car got written off by a P plater while her mum was driving it), also would be a bonus if it had a tow bar.

So there was this 240K that had been advertised for the last 6 months or more in the local classifieds newspaper. Was originally $1600, but more recently it had dropped to $800, but the rego was due. When I started looking for a car it had been re-registered for another 6 months, and the asking price had dropped to $750.

Makes sense to get a L6 series datsun, as I have a few L6 engines lying around at home. So I went and took a look at it. Didnt run too well, and hadnt been driven for months. Some rust in the doors. Belonged to the womans mum, and it had a tow bar.

Anyway I bought it for $650 and drove it home.

This is what it looked like:

post-1278-14150796040916_thumb.jpg

post-1278-14150796041445_thumb.jpg

post-1278-14150796066133_thumb.jpg

Changed the ownership on the car, and discovered that it was registered on a pensioner licence, so i have to pay the difference. Which is annoying, but didnt feel so bad after I pulled the seat covers off.

I wanted to find out how crap the seats were under the cheap covers, and it was a nice surprise to find that they were original, and in excellent condition, with a bit of soapy water they'd clean up really well.

Cleaned up the steering wheel, and removed the furry thing on the dash.

post-1278-14150796066585_thumb.jpg

post-1278-14150796067004_thumb.jpg

When I was filling out the transfer papers when I bought it I noticed it had an L28 engine. I hadn't checked, and assumed it was a L24.

Today I was having a look at it was wondering what block it had, but couldnt remember where the block type is cast, so I thought, what head has it got, I know where thats cast...

Guess what, it has a P90 head.

Hah nice bloody score! Itll be good to see how hard it pulls once youve givent it a bit of a tune up, even with the stock auto/carb combo...How soo do you think till you get it running on a regular basis? And take those damn commode wheel covers off :D !

Lovin' the hubcaps... haha

One thing to note though - dont think those are the original seats.. the back part yes but the bottom part looks as though it has been tastefully recovered at some stage.

In any case, that's a good deal! I see it has the indicator repeaters on backwards like my parts car, and another car we recently saw. Weird.

One thing though, how straight is that chrome on the front :)

Thanks Alfa about the seats. What should the bottom part look like?

The car looks to have been "done up" at some point. Maybe it was someones first car and they fixed it up. Tha paint is crap, has rust in the bottom of the doors. It used to be the same colour as Toms C110 (a sort of medium blue metallic). The indicators must hav been switched when it got painted.

The chrome isnt the best. Left part is crushed flat, the bonnet part has a ding in the middle right side, and dont remember about the driver side guard trim.

But I dont have any plans to restore the car, I'll just tidy it up, and get it running nice. and if i ever find a 2 door, it will probably become a spare parts car.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, was looking around for a 2 door. The sedan was going to be a parts car when I found a K coupe.

Didn't feel right putting in a L28 in the 240z. What would I do with the original matching numbers engine? Would be good to have an original spec z and one I could do whatever to. So I thought a K coupe would be nice to have as the modified car.

Then this 240z pops up for a bargain price. So now its sitting in the shed next to its brother K waiting for its turn to get fixed up.

post-1278-14150796138862_thumb.jpg

I thought it was a bit wangan midnight, or maybe thats just because its blue.

Vin is complicated. The ID tags say its a early-ish. 1971 in the 800's (dont have the info with me), but the chassis stamping would indicate its a 1973 chassis, in the 100000 range.

Probably a case of take 2 cars and make one good one, for whatever reason.