IGNORED

dash light problem

winstonsmith

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem on my 77 and here's what I came across. Take off the steering column covers and check the headlight switch, specifically check the solder points on the top of the switch where the harness is soldered on. High resistance in my circuit caused the solder to melt just enough that it flowed and made contact with the adjacent solder point/wire therefore creating a short. The switch is set up so that the park/dash lights are operated seperately from the headlights. The high resistance is still a mystery to me and I am still working on it. Removing the fuse box is next for me.

Is there a particular fuse in the fuse box that goes to the dash lights. My shop manual doesn't seem to say. I checked all the fuses and they all look good. I replaced most of them anyway just to be sure and I still have no dash lights.

Check the 3rd fuse on the right. They sometimes will burn out on the ends under the silver metal caps. You won't see the filiment burned out, but it may still be bad. That third fuse will cause the dash and the tail lights to go out.

Good luck.