IGNORED

Mk63 4piston calipers - rotor compatibility?

EricB

Is anyone stateside and on the board here using the old Nissan Comp Mk63 4piston calipers. HS30-H has shared that in Europe they use them in conjunction with Peugeot 306 vented rotors - short of getting the diam/thickness/offset of those rotors and matching them up to something locally I am wondering if someone here has already found a suitable US unit?

-e

• 1 year later...

Here's a pic of the components on my car.

That's a Peugeot 306 / 505 GTI vented disc, used in conjunction with the Nissan Sports Option Sumitomo "MK63" 4-pot caliper.

You have to re-drill the PCD for the hub mounting bolts, but other than that its a bolt-on job.

post-2116-14150793747936_thumb.jpg

Bruce, if you think your MK63's are too narrow for a vented rotor then you may well have the non-vented version of the MK63 caliper.

They came in both vented and non-vented ( narrow ) versions.

They didn't use any kind of spacer on the vented version - the castings themselves were different.

Alan T.

The Mk63 set I have also had slight fouling problems with the 14" Enkei mags that I wanted to put on the car, so it may not be worth all the trouble to use with standard rotors

- I might just look at going straight to a vented solution.

thanks for shedding a bit more light on that, Alan!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan

Couldn’t help notice your pictures and post on the MK63 calipers etc

I am looking to do a brake upgrade at some time

What’s the availability of the Mk63 caliper and appropriate vented disc in the UK like?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

There are no suppliers in the UK for either the vented or solid disc version of the MK63 four-pot calipers, to my knowledge.

I've sourced some on behalf of a few people who needed them for homologation-compliant historic class race cars here in the UK, but I got them direct from Japan and they were not cheap.

To be honest, 99% or more of UK-based Z owners don't even know what they are / were - and therefore don't even know that they don't want them, if you know what I mean :classic: Generally speaking, most people are not interested in period-correct detail and want to go for a modern-looking caliper ( like the Wilwood for example ) and prefer light alloy to heavy cast iron.

The vented discs are easy to replicate ( NISMO don't list them anymore ) but the calipers themselves really need to be the 'real thing'. The beauty is that they were JAF / FIA homologated, and are a true 'bolt-on' that will clear even standard steel wheels without any adapters or spaced discs. They were used on all of the Works 240Z / 260Z rally cars ( front AND rear on the later cars ) and most of the Works 432R / 240ZR race cars in Japan too. These are 'period' race / sports use parts that were offered from Nissan's own Sports Option lists in Japan, and the Datsun Competition lists in the USA.

The original component was designed for the Nissan President limousine, but the Sports Option MK63s for the Z ( the '20-S' model ) was slightly different to the ones offered for the Skylines / Sunnies / Violets etc - so you need to be careful about buying used ones. Bleed nipple location is a particular detail to be wary of.

I have a brand new pair 'in stock' in London if you want them, but I'm afraid - like I said - they are not cheap.....

Cheers,

Alan T.

post-2116-14150793974576_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...
On 4/11/2004 at 6:20 PM, HS30-H said:

Here's a pic of the components on my car.

That's a Peugeot 306 / 505 GTI vented disc, used in conjunction with the Nissan Sports Option Sumitomo "MK63" 4-pot caliper.

You have to re-drill the PCD for the hub mounting bolts, but other than that its a bolt-on job.

post-2116-14150793747936_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but i am currently looking at getting some MK63's for my early 240Z,

Can i ask you if the Peugeot 306 GTi solution will fit the early 240Z or late 240Z/260Z front struts?

Kent