Power antenna electrics - Page 7 - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Power antenna electrics

Featured Replies

Wow! Three pages on antenna electrics! Who woul've guessed!

I am still a little unclear, though on my particular situation.

It looks like the P.O. replaced the original radio (12/70, 1971 240Z) when the F.M. stereo version became available and the antenna switch was relocated to the glovebox.

When I have a modern head unit installed and keep my original antenna (assuming it still works) I want to wire the MODERN antenna power wire (from the head unit) to the Power terminal on the OLD switch, and all three wires from the switch to the antenna and it should operate as it did originally? For example: Turn radio on (nothing happens to antenna) push switch to up (antenna goes up) push switch down (antenna goes down).

Am I understanding correctly?

I am going from memory here on the wires as The Z is still in storage.

Regards,

Astrohog

  • Author

Astrohog,

Look up Enrique's wiring diagram in post #19, and it should help you hook up your automatic antenna to a regular switch. Note, that method uses a toggle switch, not a rocker switch.

To anwer atrohog's question as it was posed: Yes, that would work since all you'd be doing is replacing the original power wire with the one from your stereo. Don't do your usual job of making simple things seem complicated, Tomo, please.

  • Author

Complicated? I was just referring him to what Enrique had stated a while ago.

And I always make things more simple, the car is complicated enough.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.