IGNORED

Power antenna electrics

TomoHawk

In a way, it is a custom switch, since it's not an oem switch; just one I got from the electronics store. I have an automatic mirror too, and I was looking athe controls on it to see how to use the Datsun switch to control it in the same way as the Datsun antenna.

• 2 months later...
What happened to your switch? was it removed and a manual intenna installed?

thx

I don't know, I assume since Enrique said they were mounted on the radio, it must have been on the stock radio when it was pulled out and that's why it's gone like Enrique said. Other wise, if the switch was not mounted on the radio, I haven't any idea where else the switch would be because I have never noticed any other switches in the car that did anything like that. Until now, I just assumed mine was broken and these antennas where fully automatic and came up whenever you turned the radio on, so this is new to me. The oem antenna is still in place and hooked up, I just manually pulled it up so far so I could get some reseption. I actually have a spare oem antenna that I pulled off our 260z parts car that appears to be in great shape too.

EDIT: After doing some research, I found one on Ebay, and there what do you know, there's the switch on the right side of the radio. Just love learning new stuff like that about my car and Z cars in general!

c1b81wm4.jpg

Austen:

Most (if not all) modern radios (meaning post-1980 or so) had a lead that actuated a FULLY Automatic antenna when the radio was turned on. This lead was typically a blue wire that in turn connected to a blue wire coming from the antenna.

Take note however, that the combination requires a FULLY Automatic antenna. The OEM Antenna was termed a Semi-Automatic Antenna in the Stereo Industry (back in the 70's and early 80's) because while it was a POWERED antenna, it still required manual actuation (i.e. via a switch). Additionally, you also control how far up or down you extend it, whereas with a Fully Automatic it goes ALL the way up or all the way down.

I'm not sure, but that you could "just manually pull(ed) it up" makes me wonder if the motor and/or the nylon lead are still attached to the mast. It's not normally easy to pull up on the mast tip. Get power to the antenna and hopefully it will operate properly.

Be aware that until later in the Z series, the radios were Monaural and not Stereo. That's why so many owners quickly replaced their OEM car radios with more sophisticated units that in turn, caused various modifications to be made to the car. Speakers in the door panels, additional speakers in the rear, antenna changes, cutting out part of the Heater Control Panel, are just the most obvious and prevalent.

FWIW

E

I'm not sure, but that you could "just manually pull(ed) it up" makes me wonder if the motor and/or the nylon lead are still attached to the mast.

Thanks for the info!

What I did to get the antenna up was just take some plyers and pull it up, I couldn't get it to go up with just my hands.