IGNORED

Hello

Zwief280Z

I have a 280Z.

Unlesss you massaged the engine, it's not like any muscle car. In fact, I use mine more for high-speed touring or autocross. It was designed more for sports GT racing and good gas miileage than fast launches.

What do you mean by stock racing?

Otherwise, I think a stock 280Z would go the 1/4 at about 15 sec., but some guys with L6 turbos can put down any ricer or vette, etc.

HTH

What an articulate answer TomoHawk.....you're amazing! I don't think Jeramey cares that you have a 280Z or how you dream about driving it or what you think it was designed for!!! He simply asked about 1/4 mile performance and how it performs stock! If you need some attention, go talk to your mommy! Dawd, why do I even bother....your hopeless! ROFL

Jeramy,

Quarter mile times as published in "DatsunZ Fairlady to 280Z" by Brian Long.

In stock form:

'70 240Z 17.1sec

'73 240z 17.7

'73 240Z 18.6 (bodanker carbs)

'74 260z 17.9

'74 260 2+2 19.2

240ZX

Remind me how you even got close to answering the question Jeramy asked-you didn't even address your answer to him! Griping about someone else not answering a question still does not answer a question! You are more guilty of what you accused TomoHawk of than he is!

Will

Tom-

Jeramey asked about "Zs." NOT a 240Z, or 260Z or 280Z. So he left the door open for anyone to answer from any point of view.

As for dreaming- I don't dream of things. I make a list or a plan, and I do some resaearch, read some book & watch videos, then I DO it. I gave Jeramey my observations, and what he might or should expect when you mention "racing" with a stock Z. I think he could come back with some specifics so we can answer his question(s) better.

Why didn't you ask him to clarify things?

Will-

Remember 240ZX is one of those older crowds, who seem to be even more 'opinionated' than the usual Z-person. Maybe he expects me to have some kind of supernatural insight to anyone and everyone's questions that I can answer them in whatever style makes him happy.

thx

Will, it's really simple......I think TomoHawk is a jerk. Sure I'm opinionated, get over it! When TomoHawk actually starts contributing something useful to this site, other than just babbling on about whatever, maybe I'll think differently about him. I do apologize for ranting about TomoHawk and derailing the post, but quess what? I'm human as well as anyone else. Can I be forgiven your holiness?

Jeramy,

I appologize for this.

Tom(240ZX),

You are most definitely entitled to your opinion, and I would defend your right to have it. What bothered me is you did just what you accused him of. Please notice, I gave answers to Jeramys' question before I addressed you. It is his thread!

TomoHawk is just as entitled to not answer a question as you are-but his post was at least generally dealing with the issue of the thread-yours ignored it completely. Sort of like seeing someone ignoring the speed limit, and going after them for a citizens arrest-same guilt no matter what the justification. To me that is Hypocritical-and that is one thing that gets on my last nerve. I am going to speed to bring attention to the fact someone else was speeding? It is perfectly ok for me to do it, but noone else can or I will.

As to my holiness, You are smarter than that, you don't need forgiveness from me, only perhaps the odd z part, occasionally a pittance of advice on the cars, and the setup for ironic marterdom you occasionally turn my replies into.

Will

Well i just figured i would start up a little convo sorry that it was a bomb shell well what i mean about racing and stuff was i just bought a 78 280z about a week ago it needs alot of work and everything but has anyone heard how they do in a quater mile because here in wisonsin theres a drag track called rock falls and i have been dreaming for a long time to be able race a car there i was wondering if this be a car to build up and race or should i just go and buy a camaro to do the job thanks for all the replies hahaha

Well i just figured i would start up a little convo sorry that it was a bomb shell well what i mean about racing and stuff was i just bought a 78 280z about a week ago it needs alot of work and everything but has anyone heard how they do in a quater mile because here in wisonsin theres a drag track called rock falls and i have been dreaming for a long time to be able race a car there i was wondering if this be a car to build up and race or should i just go and buy a camaro to do the job thanks for all the replies hahaha

Well Jeramy,

Z cars are without a doubt great cars to own and drive. IMO, for drag racing a Camero is better suited. Basically, it has to do with the rear suspension....the Z has indepenant rear suspension and the Camero has a ridgid axle rear suspension (better for keeping the full width of a tire's tread on the race track....traction). If your not totally hooked on drag racing, the Z is great for autocross and or road racing. Owning and driving a Z car on your favorite back roads, without being involved in any sort of racing, is also great fun. Call it a hunch but, I think that might be one of the reasons we own and love our Z cars. If you truely love the Z cars, do what you can to it to please you......it will certainly grow on you! Ask any member.

Ok i see what you mean well i dont know i think im going to keep her(my 280z) because there awful nice looking and if i work on it enough i might be able to beat some of those damn mazdas LOL have you ever raced a z on a road course or anything (dont worry tom i know you did) tell me about racing them is it hard expensive what would i need to do as im restoring my z now to make it race ready?

I agree with what Mr. 240ZX said about Z cars, but I will add that you really CAN drag race successfuly with a stock, unmodified Z car if you want to. With ANY car, even.

It's called "bracket racing" (You might already know about this.) You predict what your e.t. will be, and you get a few tries to hit your prediction (dial-in), and you go against others, in a staggered start according to the difference in e.t.s. If you hit your dial-in perfectly, You win your run. The guy with the best record at the end of the day WINS.

thx

I agree with what Mr. 240ZX said about Z cars, but I will add that you really CAN drag race successfuly with a stock, unmodified Z car if you want to. With ANY car, even.

It's called "bracket racing" (You might already know about this.) You predict what your e.t. will be, and you get a few tries to hit your prediction (dial-in), and you go against others, in a staggered start according to the difference in e.t.s. If you hit your dial-in perfectly, You win your run. The guy with the best record at the end of the day WINS.

thx

TomoHawk, I'm impressed! :D Actual relavent info. No rants from me on this one!