IGNORED

Your First car.

Fun_in_my_z

• 2 weeks later...

Hey... what a cool thread!

My first car was a Rambler Ambassador 1965 880 that I inherited when my dad passed away. In 1973 it was already a rust bucket but I had fate and I bought a part car (a 990 paid 25$ CDN) and swap the 287 CI for a 327 CI with a holley 4 brls and did a body job. I had a lot of fun with it. I have an old pic of it. But my real first car that I bought was in '75. I had a choice between a '71 240Z with a lot of rust already (you know east of Mississipi and north of the border ...) or an apple green apple Ford Capri (made in Germany). Guest what, I choose the Capri. What an engine V6 with no weight on the back. I burned set of tires after one other but it was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I had to fix about everything on it. God did I regret my choice. It took me almost 25 years to correct my mistake.

post-7137-14150796524113_thumb.jpg

post-7137-14150796524473_thumb.jpg

The second one was a Cosworth Twin Cam Vega, #0853 of about 3500. I wonder where it is now?

For those of you who may not have heard of these critters, the Cossie had an aluminum 16 valve twin cam head designed and built by Cosworth in England on top of a de-stroked 2 liter version of the Vega's aluminum block. (Cosworth had come up with the idea to use the Chevy block as a basis for a light, bullet-proof and affordable Formula engine.) So clear back in 1975 Chevy was selling cars with twin cams, 4 valves per cylinder, electronic port injection, stainles tube headers and pumpless air injection for emissions control.

Of course, they couldn't make money on it, so it died after 2 years.

My cousin had a Vega that he ran and warped the block. He replaced the original motor with the Cosworth engine. Boy, was that thing fast! He regularly beat Corvettes and other Muscle cars . . . but he never did get a BMW 2002. He warned me never to play around with those - they looked innocent, but ran like hell.

I digress.

My first car - 1965 Mustang, 289 V8, automatic, white with red interior. $500.00 in 1978.

First car ?

I've already mentioned what my first car was. However, my first NEW car was a '77 Chrysler Centura. I don't know if you lot from north of the equator know the Centura.

It was a medium sized car but had the same Hemi engine as the bigger Regal, coupled to a Borg Warner Auto box that slipped through the changes as smooth as silk.

I used to take it out to the local quarter mile once a month to clear the cobwebs out that gathered while my wife drove it sedately around town.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

I too have aready mentioned what my frist car was earlier in this thread but my first NEW car was a 1970 240Z, HLS3000488. My second was a 72 240Z, don't recall the VIN. The dealer I purchased the first one from traded me straight accross for the 72. I had put 19000 miles on the 70. Obviously, they knew something, even back then.