Loose Shift Control - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Loose Shift Control

Featured Replies

I have a 78 280z, 4-speed manual transmission. The transmission works great, but there's a lot of play in the shift control lever.. I'm thinking that the control lever bushings may be dried out. I bought a pair of bushings, but before I go crazy I was wondering if the bushings can be replaced from the interior by removing the console and boots...or do I have to drop the transmission and do it from there. Any ideas?

you can replace them by removing the pin that holds the shifter to the tranny (inside the car). yank out the shifter. one bushing (the closed ended one) goes on the end of the shifter. the other 2 slip into the hole that the pin goes through.

I have a 78 280z, 4-speed manual transmission. The transmission works great, but there's a lot of play in the shift control lever.. I'm thinking that the control lever bushings may be dried out. I bought a pair of bushings, but before I go crazy I was wondering if the bushings can be replaced from the interior by removing the console and boots...or do I have to drop the transmission and do it from there. Any ideas?

Yes, you can from inside the car. No need to drop the tranny. The swap is pretty straightforward. Mine were totally missing, new installed bushings took a total of ~30 minutes to perform.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.