IGNORED

alternator voltage output

helopilot

I have a new alternator and I think a bad voltage regulator. My book says to determine alternator output measure voltage from the A terminal on the alternator to the negative terminal on the batt.

Mine measured 22-24 volts. I don't know how to measure the voltage from the voltage regulator to the batt.

I can tell that there is way to much voltage going to the system. Any advice?????

Thanks as always

Phil

Doesnt that just drive you bonkers! You take the time and energy to replace a part, then spend hours if not days trying to figure out why it didn't fix what it should have. What ever happened to factory quality control?

How's it going with the electrical cutout problem?

problem solved with a new regulator....

Conventional wisdom suggests that one should replace the regulator and alternator at the same time. I replaced my voltage regulator years ago without any ill effects on my alternator, but I may have just been lucky.

Conventional wisdom suggests that one should replace the regulator and alternator at the same time. I replaced my voltage regulator years ago without any ill effects on my alternator, but I may have just been lucky.

Yeah, one usually takes out the other. I don't think I've ever been lucky enough to get away with replacing just one of these two components.

no progress with the switch problem yet. I bought a dash with wiring harness for it and the engine compartment from Ed. It should be here next week. Also picked up some rotors for the brakes. Now I just need to decide to put 240 calipers or toyota calipers on the front.

Once the dash comes in I can swap stuff and compare wiring and hopefully figure it out. By that time we will probably be headed off somewhere to fight fire..

There is always the fall.