IGNORED

NSW pre-76 emissions etc.

khughes

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine was telling me the other day that any pr-76 cars were not produced to meet any emmisions or noise controls etc. (no cat or noise level requirements) and that if your building a car, even if you put a much newer engine into the body, the emmisions and noise levels are still based on the production date of the car (rather than the engine)..

Is this true? it certainly explains why many RX3's etc that get around are really really loud, but i would have thought that had this been true, they would base it on the engine date, seeing as this is what produces the noise and polution

anybody got any ideas? if the states are different, NSW info would help :D

Kent

In the USA, it varies by State. Some states, like California, have very strict restrictions of emissions equipment and/or engine swaps. It's my understanding that in Cali, your car needs to retain ALL of the emissions equipment that was required when it was new. No exceptions. I don't know how they deal with engine swaps, but I would imagine it's a major pain. To give you another example, here in Florida (my home State), pre-1974 cars used to be totally exempt from emissions testing. that was up until about 5 years ago when they totally abandoned emissions testing. That's right, NO testing State wide, that includes no safety inspection either (lights, brakes, etc). Basically that means anything goes. You can still get tickets if your car has burned out bulbs, belches smoke like a fogger, or generally looks unroadworthy but that is totally at the discrepancy of the police officer at hand. In one way I enjoy it, much less of a hassle, but rationally I realize it's pretty irresponsible environmentally. then again, no one has ever accused the State of Florida of being members of the Mensa Society. ;)

wow, interesting, somehow i don't see the NSW government ever being that "liberal" with emisisons testing (haha, that's a joke btw.. NSW Govt. is labour at the moment)

i do sort of get the impression that the US is pretty light on environmental issues overall (but that is because of your 100L V8's you have over there :D)

Well, not to get too political, but you're right. The current administration (G.W. and the rest of the Neo-Con's) have basically managed to gut 30 years of EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) laws. If it weren't for states like California, I think most people here would have no clue as to the sorry state of the environment in this country. Short sighted thinking IMHO. Too many people wanting to drive thier MEGA-SUV's to and from the grocery store, and yet the bitch when it costs them $75 to fill thier gas tank. Go figure. When I mentioned Florida amoung the not-so-bright crowd, I think you can expand that to include a vast portion of this country.

Australian car's seem to be following the US trend too unfortunately.. we have always had an obsession with 5L V8's, but now of course, we don't make our own so we are getting the bigger ones from the US (LS1's etc.).. and even thought socially people are starting to get the idea this is a bad thing (along with big (by our standards at least, not US) 4WD's in the city).. but marketing and male pride i think gets the better of most blokes... good to see that the US is going to start marketing hybrids in good numbers though.. and in trucks too.. a good step forward!

sorry guys for chatting (well i guess, sorry to myself since i started it :D)

I don't like emission testing, but Florida seems kind of extreme...does that have 'Bush' written all over it? Any takes from Floridians would be welcome!

In Oregon, it used to be the 21 years of age or older of the vehicle made it not have to go through emissions (DEQ)...now there is the 1975 rule...if it was made before 1975 you can do whatever you want....

I find it refreshing that my 240 was build before that time.

It would be interesting to see what would've happened if the Zed's first year was 1961 and had 11 years of no big bumpers and emission death....240s probably wouldn't be worth anything near what they are now....or who knows?

I know that Aussies/NZs got the opportunity mainly (with the 260) but it would be interesting in the USA...

I don't like emission testing, but Florida seems kind of extreme...does that have 'Bush' written all over it?...

DOCTOR! DOCTOR! He said... THE "B" WORD... Quick! Get me my pills! GET ME MY PILLLLLLLLLLSSSSsssssss.... :tapemouth

I'm a new south welshman and I was led to believe the rules were pre 74?

Anywho, when ever the rule kicks in, if you put a newer engine in that car it must run the factory ECU. I want to put a 1UZ in my 260 eventually and will most likely either need to run the factory ECU for a short period of time or try and gut a Microtech and squeeze it into the factory ecu box and make it look original.

If you own a car prior to this law you can run aftermarket ecu's. I think it still has to pass an emissions test though.

i live here in san dego california...the new rule for us is that the cars now can be 75years and older to be smog exempted but the 30 year rule ends at 1975 cars. they will not continue the 30 year rule here for us. 1975 will be the last

mikey

Not true. I've always been under the impression that all cars, even pre ADR cars (cars made before the 70's) had to meet 2 requirements.

1. mustn't be to loud.

2. mustn't put out lots of smoke.

and i think the laws have changed so that you have to keep all the emmissions stuff from the engine, nomatter what the year of the car.

But i could be completely wrong.

Im in NSW, as far as the engineer that certified my car was concerned it only had to meet the rules and requirements of the original compliance plate.

That was, as it’s a 1973 240, a PCV system and not over the noise limit of the time.

I run the RB30DE with no cat or carbon canister, I run an after market engine management system.

As im an Auto trade teacher myself i’ve had a good look at the rules and this is the correct way to go, but if you call the RTA you will find they don’t even understand there own rules. They told me that i would need a cat, canister and the standard computer as that was the only way they could be sure it complied with the emissions the engine was built to comply with, but its not the engine its the vehicle the rules are set for and my pre 74 only has to have a PCV and be under the noise limit.

Where the confusion starts is with cars after 1976 as their ADR rule set pollution limits that you would have to prove it meets (very hard to do) unless you use an engine of the same year or newer in stock standard form including its management system.

Steven

here in tassie noise is set at 96 db for all cars that smoke can be booked for excessive smoke any age

on polloution talking to engineer here he tells me the car has to meet the std of when motor was made or the car which ever is the later built but so saying that they dont have any pollution test stations so its just a brake test and std engineering inspection oh and have to fit damn cats

so to upgrade here to a 90s motor u need polloution gear to match when motor was built anyone know of some real small cat converters the 240z tunnell is not that wide

Mick