IGNORED

'71 240Z What do you think?

jmark

Drove up & checked the '71 240Z out today. Met Don the owner who pretty much grew up around a Datsun dealership. His Dad owned the dealer till he passed away and Don & his family sold out. He still works as a salesman at his families former dealership. He has a sweet Datsun 2000 convertible. He redid the car from ground up doing everything but the paint/body work. He deals alot with the Datsun 2000 crowd selling alot of parts etc.

As far as the 240Z goes it was just as he claimed. The mileage less than 37000 miles is believable. The brake pedal appears hardly used. He changed it out and showed me the originals. The car has matching motor and VIN tags. The dash has a 3 inch crack in it but a new in the box dash comes with it. The body is rust free and the paint passable. It was repainted years ago in White Imron. There are a few small dings in the top of the fenders but I think a PDR guy can get those out. Bumpers look good and dent free. The Panasports make the car IMHO. Car drove & idled well and sounded sweet. The AC compressor works but a low pressure line has a leak in it so that will need to be replaced. Car still has original can of touchup paint that came with the car in '71! It also has the original tool kit & wheel chocks too! The interior vinyl panels are a bit faded but he already bought the paint to redo them and I get that as well. He is throwing in all new front bumper rubber trim, pack of 100 blue panel rivets. The seats have been redone with Classic Datsun kits. I think I did OK. Car is not in need of anything right off and can be enjoyed as a driver. I'll get the AC fixed and probably have my mechanic look her over as well as get my PDR guy on the few dings.

post-5664-14150795201675_thumb.jpg

post-5664-14150795202244_thumb.jpg

post-5664-14150795202775_thumb.jpg

post-5664-14150795203323_thumb.jpg

It sounds as if you bought it. I hope you did! Congrats thats a nice car. I expecially like the way he did the headlight covers without any trim.

Enjoy!!!!

Pick her up next weekend! :) The headlight covers trim was old and he took it off. I was trying to figure what to replace it with! For an east coast car she is in great shape. Looking forward to driving her home through the mountains next weekend! My son was mad I didn't take him with me today. He can ride home with me next week! The Tokico HP's and Eibachs really drove well.

Is that Don Morrell? I know him from Rising Sun Racing, his roadster parts business. I've only dealt with him to buy parts, but he's a good guy. Sounds like you got a gem there. Congratulations.

I can use a few of those blue plastic rivots if you want to part with them. I need about 12 more to finish off my blue-on-blue '71 Z. Let me know if you can sell them rivots, OK?
Shouldn't be a problem. Remind me if I forget.

excellent car! very clean, and it looks extremely well maintained...

dogma: IMHO the sheer volume of air that makes it into the filters makes up for it being warm. eventually i will go with a CAI system or use 280z vents and duct it, but for now it works fine