IGNORED

'71 240Z What do you think?

jmark

I have the original 4-speed "A" tranny and the 5-speed "B" tranny standing beside each other. (on blocks) The "B" shifter has a severe bend in it and it appears to come out about the same place as the "A". It appears that I will not have any problem putting the 5-speed into my 2-71 Z.

I checked my plastic storage boxes and found a sack of nylon bushings for the "B" tranny. I remember ordering these from Datsun back in the late 70's. They sent me a sack of 10. I have 7 left! I cannot believe that I remembered these bushings and where I put them after 30+ years. :knockedou

Well, go for it. Worst case scenario you have to drop the trans and enlarge the hole.

Just remember to install the shifter (and shift into each gear) as soon as you can to see if there are fitment issues before you install the driveshaft and console, etc.

BTW, the late 240, 260 and 280 Z's had the larger hole for the "B" 4-speed shifter (larger than the early 240Z that is). To me it doesn't make sense that you'd get by without enlarging the hole when using a later transmission, but it costs you nothing but time to try to avoid doing it.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

I have a build date of 2/71. I am guessing this is an early Z, correct? It has a large rectangular hole in the tunnel with a large rubber gasket. When I stand the two trannies (4-spd and 5-spd) up together, the only problem I see is where the gear shift rod comes out of the tranny. It is about 3/4" taller (at the first bend) then the 4-speed. The guy that is advising me said he has never had a problem with the 5-spd hitting the tunnel in many changes that he has done. I will check it out but I do not see a problem with my 2/71 Z. I will keep everyone posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

Very nice looking '71 240Z! With that low mileage it should hold up well for many years to come! I was mentioning your color combination to 'Dtsnlvrs' and he was very keen on it. Along with '240ztt' you guys will have alot to talk about. 240ztt's car is a 01/71 (HLS3020425) and has only covered about 60k miles from new and 'Dtsnlvrs' is a 11/70 and there alot of interesting oddities about these transition cars.

I haven't been posting much as I am parting out the '82 280ZX hardtop and simultaneously prepping the other '78 '611' HLS30448652 (02/78) for yet another engine swap! Before the '82's engine goes into the '78 I have to refinish sections of the engine bay as the surface rust began to rear its ugly head. As strange as it may sound at the local PepBoys a Ford burgandy closely matches the '611' much better than the burgandy identified as Nissan burgandy.

Keep in touch as you make progresson the 240Z!

Thanks! My son & I drove the car 3 hours to ZDayZ at the Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles!). It did very well on the road. I see now why in the early '70's the 240Z was such a hit. The car was an incredible performance car & value. We had a blast at the event. It was the only white/blue combo there and we got alot of compliments. We met and talked to Carl Beck while waiting on the Z group shot at Fontana Dam. Carl drove 12 hours from FL for the event. My son enjoyed meeting him especially since he read the piece Carl did in SportZ Mag about getting his first 240Z and driving it across the country in the early 70's. There were 150 Z cars with probably 20 or so S30's in the group shot. I'll post some pics soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Just a heads up, I plan to sell the white with blue interior '71 Datsun 240Z which is the subject of this thread. I have to get some new pics taken etc.

Here is a link to some videos after I pulled her out to give her a wash.

J. Mark Boudoucies - YouTube

My priorities have changed and I don't think I am going to have the money to get it taken apart and painted the way I would like. The mileage stands at 37469 so I haven't driven it much in 9 years. We are trying to pay things off so my wife can stop working and pick my granddaughter up from school etc.

The car still drives great and mechanically is sound. It has the original motor, gearbox and new tires on the Panasports. It comes with blue trim panels from Les at Classic Datsun (NIB) and some NIB emblems & rubber trim. I think I am the 3rd or 4th owner of the car. It really just taking apart, some very minor body prepwork and painting.

Price will be $11950 for the car. I also have a NIB OEM factory dash part #68100-E8800 which Carl B. tells me is for a '72 240Z. I will be selling it separately.

I am in Greer SC 29651 and my email is jmark_350z@bellsouth.net. I am reaching out to friends who are Z guys before advertising to the general public.

Edited by jmark