IGNORED

Shock availability in OZ

Well it seems as time goes by, more manufacturers are dropping the old 240 from their lists. It seems Monroe no longer make front or rear shocks for the datto. Others don't list much on the Z series either, with nothing for the 240Z. Before I bite the bullet and go Koni, has anyone else got an idea of what to use. My set of Suspension Tech springs should arrive any day now and I don't think the stock shocks will handle it.

I know this was covered a bit 6 months ago, but it seems the 2005 cattledogs have changed it all a bit with availability. :stupid:

Hi Speedyblue

I wouldnt buy a set of standard length inserts for a 240.

You are much better off getting some 25-35mm shorter inserts eg VWGolf fronts for the rear and Toyota MR2 rears for the front.

It is really the only way to retain some suspension travel with a slightly lowered car.

Do it once , do it well

Steven

RB30-Zed.

That's an interesting idea. Has you or anyone else for that matter tried these or other inserts? Is it hard to get the correct damping rates, and dimensions of the shock. Do the ones you have listed work well?

Also i was wondering if anyone has shortened the bumpstops. I'm pretty reluctant to, i can't even think of the setup now. It's just that someone mentioned it to me the other day and i had to say that i just wasn't sure if i could get away with it.

Yes that exactly what ive used, with 300 front and 275 rear springs.

They are both Koni top adjustable and work very well for me but id recommend that you check all your options.

Ive got the part numbers somwhere if you need them.

Is the actual strut casing still the same size so the struts still fit nicely in the strut tube, but have shorter arms so they aren't almost fully compressed at ride height?

I know lowering the Z can cause loose springs when the suspension unloads but never really knew how to stop it happening.

Is there any mods required, or is it all just bolt in?

If you could give me the part numbers, or which year VWgolf and toyota MR2 that would be great.

Thanks for the input

Scott

I see the strut casings have been modded for coilovers. Were there any changes required for the struts to fit and were any spacers or the such required?

I really need to know if this is a complete bolt-on thing or if some modding is required. Just want to know what I'm getting myself into first so that there's no suprises when I install the springs and shocks. This car is a daily driver, so excessive time off the road is a pain in the butt.

Thanks for the info so far. Hopefully I can use it to make an old car go faster!!! At the moment handling is fairly rubbish.

Cheers

Scott

You could also try these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7963985301&category=33590 I have tried contacting them about shipping rates but have not got a response for the last month. However at their cheap prices I can almost understand that mentality however it's still not enouraging for me to spend my $$ with them. I've got my mind set of Tokico's since these are 5 way adjustable and seem to be the shocker of choice for my Z enthusiasts.

I've got some quotes for shipping at around the $300US mark delivered to your door through air mail i think you could get cheaper but for $650 US odd it's not a bad deal i think even after converting to AUS.

Shame I missed meeting you at the Nationals Steven I would have loved to discuss aspects of your car with you in person :)

Yes Scott there is certain amount of modification to be done.

That's the whole point in fitting shorter inserts in to the strut. If you get a insert that is say 30 mm's shorter in its body than the original, then you can shorten your McPherson strut the same amount.

I cut the amount needed out of the strut welded it back up and then fitted the threaded sleeve over that. If you retain the original spring seat you cut the section out below the spring seat and reweld.

The point is if you have two lowered zeds and one has the standard struts it might only have 10mm travel to the bump stop, but the other car with sectioned struts will have 10mm plus the 30mm for a total of 40mm travel to the bump stop.

Good luck

Steven

Yeah I've seen the other thread about this.

I don't think I would really use the adjustability that much, since it won't see too much of the track. I'm building something else for that (insert evil laugh here)

I'd rather get something local too. Just easier if something isn't quite right.

Still, i will try keep my options open for now.

Ahh that's what I thought. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to shorten a strut tube myself, so I guess I will ring up the suspension shop tomorrow to see what they charge. Might end up too costly. Still, lowering an inch should still give enough travel in the shock. Haven't heard of any problems with minor lowering.

Thanks for that Steven. Now to do more research.

I ordered a set of tokico shocks from www.xshocks.com. The price is really good compared to anywhere is Oz and it was $90 US for air freight. Took about 10 days to get here and the guy did the right thing with the value on customs docket so no duty was applicable.

I wouldnet hesitate to go through the same guys again.