IGNORED

2Q's: Part # for MSD blaster 2 with E12-80? Will i lose my stock Tach?

Jayru

So i've been doing some searching and can't find answers for what i'm after...

1) I see MSD has two different part #'s for their blaster 2 coils, anyone know the correct one? I've got a 240 that i'm putting an E12-80 dizzy in.

2) Will i loose my tack by putting the E12-80 and blaster coil in (eliminating the Balast)? Every thread on the subject only says how to hook it up (Distributor). They say nothing of if the tach will still work.

Thanks for any help,

Jay

I just did the same swap a couple months ago and the tach works fine. I can't remember the model number for the coil, but all I did was go and buy one off the shelf at pepboys. There might be one for internal ballist and one for external? I would imagine that since most cars are internal most of the new ones off the shelf would work. I think it was only $27.

Make sure when you take the two wires off of the ballast to manage those correctly. I used one of the male/male connectors off the old coil to connect them. It may be common sense, but when I put them together for the first time it had me stumped b/c the car wouldn't start. Otherwise, it is straight forward.

Good luck

You are, but they can't be physically touching. You know the male/male connectors on the coil that I'm talking about? It is the piece that is below the nut on the coil posts. Your new coil should come with them and then you'll have two left over from your old. Just use that piece and you'll be good.

That's exactly why I was stumped. I thought they should be connected per the instructions. I got to thinking about it, changed it, and the car fired right up.

yes because you are eliminating the resister and suppling 12volts to the coil. I simply used the ZX coil , in reality I can see no need to use any other coil really.

Well around here i'm getting quotes of $37.99 for a stock coil, the MSD is on ebay new for $34.99. So it's just cheaper, as well as more volts.

The difference in p/n may elude to a ballast type and non-ballast type coil(?). If you run a full 12v to a ballast type coil (designed to operate in the 6-7 volt range) it will burn up in short time. I know this from firsthand experience. A call to tech support could clear up the question quickly.

FYI: Mine turned out to be an MSD 8203. Sorry' date=' I just located the paperwork on it.[/quote']

Yes, the difference is, i think?, the 8203 has the balast resister (it's made for the lower voltage) the 8202 is the one i need (full 12 volts for electronic ignition).

This is what i've found doing some light internet research, i didn't realize MSD had a tech line, Where do you get the #? I want to be positive.

I installed the MSD Blaster 2 coil (P/N 8202) several years ago. I removed the ballast resister and installed the Pertronix ign at the same time. I have had no problems with the system and the tac works fine (In SilverBullet L24). Come to think back, I left the ballast resister in initially and had driveability problems. I removed the ballast resister and its been fine since.