IGNORED

My rear SU carb choke sticks...

Jayru

Hi guys,

Now that i got a chance to drive the Z i have realized that the choke sticks slightly on the rear carb. When the choke lever is released, both levers on the carbs return like normal except for the back one that binds 3/4 the way down.

I have to take a long screwdriver and push on the lever, then it snaps/unbinds and returns the final 1/4 to it's position. Is this a common problem? What could be causing this? Could it be the cable or the actual carb?

Let me know where i should start.

Thanks,

Jay

It happens. It could be either cable or carb somake sure that the cable is adjusted correctly. When I had that problem it was the carb itself so I took off the air cleaner to gain access and (with the choke "on") wiped down the choke slide (under the carb) and sprayed it with Kano Labs KROIL lubricant. It helped solve the problem for months at a time, but the problem did return later. Later, I replaced the original unrebuilt carbs with ZTherapy reman. carbs.

By loosening the screw that connects the cable to the carb linkage and making sure that the nozzle is all the way "UP" when the choke lever is all the way FORWARD. Tighten screw. Do this to BOTH carbs.

You want there to be no slack in the linkage, but still allowing for the nozzle to go all the way up into the carb body when the choke lever is all the way forward.

Do you have the original choke cables installed? When I got my car, a previous owner had replaced the carb cables with bike brake cables (I think). The bike cables were not stiff enough to push the chokes back up every time. So the chokes would often stick open. Once I replaced with the proper cables, no more problems.

Cheers,

I think that the chokes should snap back up all by themselves. This can be seen with the choke linkage disconnected from the cables. I believe there is a spring up under there that is overcome by the action of the choke cable, but having the wrong cables can certainly cause problems.

Certainly a good cleaning of the fuel nozzle and the housing it slides in is in order. Our Just SUs Video also covers unscrewing the linkage at the bottom and bending a little bind out of it...... The linkage can get bent and apply enough sideways pressure on the nozzle causing it to bind in the tube. Take it easy and evaluate as you go along. Pretty common sense stuff......