IGNORED

Car sitting since 99....pre-start suggestions?

Zthing

I have recently picked up a 1972 240Z that I plan to restore. This car has been sitting for quite sometime....since 1999 to be exact. I plan on draining and cleaning the fuel tank of course, but was looking for suggestions on what to do before attempting to turn the engine over....such as spark plug removal and spraying lube in the cylinders etc. Any suggestions that will make this a less stressful event for my engine would be welcomed. At this point....actual starting of the engine is not important.I am just making sure it will turn over first. Thanks

loads!!

Pull the plugs and spray the cylinders with a light oil, Marvel or BP blaster. I would pull the valve cover and dump a quart of oil over the upper half. Leave out the plugs and spin it over till you have oil pressure. Change out all the fluids and get a can of starting fluid ready , Put the plugs back in and give it a try.

Some thing else to watch out for is even with the clutch pushed in the plate and flywheel may be rusted together. So dont have it pointed at anything when it catches !

You might also want to go through the brake system. Master, rear wheel cylinders, and calipers, and hoses before you attempt to drive it. It's quite likely that the brake fluid has absorbed enough water over the years to render the brake cylinders rusted and unsafe or inoperable. Rubber hoses could be rotten as well.

Will do that for sure....at this point, just want to make sure the engine is not locked. Picked it up about a week ago, and got it sheltered. Should have it in the garage by tomorrow. Probably gonna be a long project. Want to take it down to the dirt....and get it squared away. Trying to absorb as much info from you Z'ers as possible, so that I might feel comfortable calling myself the same :classic: . Last tear down was a Kawasaki. Am afraid this one might take a bit longer. Anyway....almost picked up a 240z way back when I was around 19 and ended up going a different route. Always had a soft spot for em. Now.... 20 years later, this one surfaced. Found it on a back road while balancing cable amps. Somewhere along the way the car was painted white, but the original color was yellow....almost a green tinted yellow. Same color as the one I passed up way back when. Could it be? Hmmmmm. Long boring story I know. Sorry.

Thanks for the advice Bambikiller240......will probably need more before its over.

Welcome. Take it one step at a time, and do it right the first time & you'll have a satisfying journey and car that is reliable and a blast to drive. Many of us have BTDT and will offer help and advice along the way. (All you need to do is sort the wheat from the chaff. LOL)

My Z sat for about 8 years before I got it. I did pretty much as was suggested above. In addition I took the carbs apart and gave them a cleaning. Also replaced all the rubber fuel hoses and flushed the steel ones. Removed the gas tank and had it "boiled" out. I flushed the brakes and replaced the hoses too, they were rotten. Flushed the clutch fluid too. I'm sure I did other stuff but can't remember right now. It's fun tinkering on a car that you don't have to drive the next morning.