IGNORED

Radiator fan (part 2 i guess)

So i got my radiator fixed from last fan incident...turned out my motor mounts were fine, just an unbalanced fan.

I replaced the fan clutch and the water pump and the fan is still unbalanced! I noticed that some of my fan blades have taken a new shape almost (one was warped) when i had taken the fan out for the replacement of all of these, i tried to bend it back, it's still off balance...my only thought is that i need to replace the plastic fan part... right? i mean a new clutch/water pump probably wouldn't be the problem would they? The damned thing is touching my radiator from time to time so i don't run it anymore because i don't want another radiator hole...

If i do need to replace the fan part, what is a good a source, and what years/models are interchangable for this part?

Does your car have front end damage? Like from some sort of accident? If you have a new water pump, and a new fan clutch I'm wondering if something has caused your radiator to be moved backward, closer to the fan. If everything is normal, there should be a good distance between the fan and the face of the radiator (like an inch or so), I'm guessing on the measurement since I've never bothered to actually measure it. The point is that it should not be so close that they could touch like that.

there is plently of distance normally... but when it is running, esp at high rpms, it oscillates front to back slightly and sometimes this causes contact, when the engine is hot, the fan blades get very pliable and when this contact occurs, they bend, and then that blade is more likely to contact b.c it is bent funny...at least that's my theory...it obviously had some front end problem at some time...which was sorta repaired and i didn't really notice until i had the radiator out...the radiator mounts in the car, where the holes for the bolts are are bend on one side, but there is still what looks like very ample clearance when the engine is off.... from what i can tell...i am getting very frustrated with this radiator/fan trouble since this car is my daily driver, therefore i am not driving... should i return this fan clutch and get a new one as defective or what? i guess i need to replace the warped blades, maybe the slight warps in them is causing the oscillation..i don't know.

i should clarify one thing: they aren't conatcting the core as before, they are contacting the upper lip that extends out past the core on my radiator. this lip is sometimes catching a corner and causing the fan to bend underneath it which would eventually cause it to bend enough to seize the whole fan and might rip a new whole in the core at the uppermost part

doesn't matter. contact is contact.

It should not be that close to any part of the radiator. I now think that your radiator support has been pushed back due to the "...it obviously had some front end problem at some time...which was sorta repaired and i didn't really notice until i had the radiator out..." statement.

Either the radiator has been (or is) moving rearward, or the fan is moving forward. The distance between them should remain static. If the fan blades are so distorted that one or more of them stick out far enough to contact the radiator (which should be about an inch away from the fan in normal conditions) it's time to get a different fan. They can be had through MSA, VB, or possibly still through Nissan (though Nissan would obviously be more expensive).

• 7 months later...

This problem just happend to me on my 73 240z. Everything is new as far as water pump, fan, fan clutch. It ran fine for a while and all of a sudden I have a hole in my radiator at the upper center part. Looked at my fan and its chipped up at the tips. I think that this might be coused by bad engine mounts or something. This sucks.....I dont know what to do.

Saro