IGNORED

Home Powder Coating Kits

seerex

Has anyone tried using one of these kits and if so was it worth it? I saw a segment of Classic Car restoration where they used one of these kits and a regular home oven and it looked great. Harbor Frieght has a basic unit for $70, and saw some on ebay for about the same. Just thought it would a nice alternative to painting engine bay parts that would fit into the oven. Jeff

On another site I vist there was a simular thread, the HF guns were given the thumbs up. Small parts were baked in a toster oven, larger in a full size. And like Tom said don't use the house oven, could give you a once in a lifetime bad tasting roast from the nasty chemicals that may stay behind.

I'm considering building a larger box from sheetmetal and making it easy to assemble/disassemble and insulate it with fiberglass bats and just install my own heating elements and control. These are pretty cheap from stove repair places and the setup would allow for larger/more pieces at a fairly low investment since I'm not planning on making a living doing this stuff...

If you just wanted a heated box, why not just strip down an electric oven, or better yet, take the coils from the top and mount them inside, or on the sides.

Do you think you could uncoil those heating elements from the stovetop and make your own pattern for rthe inside?

Might also be cheaper and a hell of a lot less hassle to take what you need to the powder coaters. Chances are they'll do a better job than you can with your "home kit".

Hell, if you are doing a heap of zeds then maybe it would be worth the capital expenditure on building/buying an oven, the kits etc, but surely not for a one off resto project!